X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Who mentioned Ubuntu? You mentioned Ubuntu in a Debian thread, and then went off on a tangent

I mentioned refusing patches and saying "If you don't like it, fork it" to people who simply wanted udev to BUILD. So that's one distro that got screwed for not using systemd. Because a harmless, simple patch was refused for no reason.
    Well, if you can talk about Gentoo forks in a Debian thread, not sure Ubuntu can be really called off tangent. I dont see how refusing a simple autoconf patch that can be maintained downstream a huge problem. Gentoo users compile from source and care about build requirements. Most distributions aren't really bothered by that. So maintaining it downstream is a valid trade off for testability and supportability.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    You are confused. eudev fork has nothing to do with Ubuntu. It is a Gentoo fork because they want to strip down compile time requirements to only the parts they include. Binary based distributions like Ubuntu don't care about that much.
    Who mentioned Ubuntu? You mentioned Ubuntu in a Debian thread, and then went off on a tangent

I mentioned refusing patches and saying "If you don't like it, fork it" to people who simply wanted udev to BUILD. So that's one distro that got screwed for not using systemd. Because a harmless, simple patch was refused for no reason.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    Obviously yes, they announced that and you are aware of that: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/006066.html
    The post basically reads as: We swallowed udev and we can't await to make it not work anymore on anything but systemd.
    It basically reads as: We will continue to provide an option to build udev separately, but we won't waste time on doing anything more, since making better use of udev is a priority; in the long run, if everyone switches to systemd, this will stop being an issue altogether.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Obviously not. It is just open source code. Ubuntu developers have commit access to systemd repository and continue to use pieces from systemd sources like udev and logind without using systemd as the init system. They may fork logind in the future but there is no force involved here.
    Obviously yes, they announced that and you are aware of that: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/006066.html
    The post basically reads as: We swallowed udev and we can't await to make it not work anymore on anything but systemd.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    I seem to remember that it was one of the reasons for the eudev fork, but I can't be bothered to hunt that down.
    You are confused. eudev fork has nothing to do with Ubuntu. It is a Gentoo fork because they want to strip down compile time requirements to only the parts they include. Binary based distributions like Ubuntu don't care about that much.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    I don't recall any Ubuntu patches turned down. Do you? If so, provide a reference.
    I seem to remember that it was one of the reasons for the eudev fork, but I can't be bothered to hunt that down.

Leave a comment:

• ArneBab
    replied
    Originally posted by Honton View Post
    OpenRC = Ron Paul. Do everybody a favour and stop your campaign. This is only about systemd and Upstart.
    OpenRC works well for Gentoo. Why do you call it capaign to say that the discussion misses a relevant system?

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Isn't it true that patches were turned down with the explanation to the tune of "not running systemd is antiquated"?
    I don't recall any Ubuntu patches turned down. Do you? If so, provide a reference.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Obviously not. It is just open source code. Ubuntu developers have commit access to systemd repository and continue to use pieces from systemd sources like udev and logind without using systemd as the init system. They may fork logind in the future but there is no force involved here.
    Isn't it true that patches were turned down with the explanation to the tune of "not running systemd is antiquated"? If you can't work your patches upstream (necessary to make things like udev run on your distro), how is this productive?

I mean, every distro maintaining a fork of systemd goes against the whole idea of "core OS", doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    So they didn't create new features in this case, they bundled existing features and announced the plan to break all distros who don't use their software.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X