Debian To Switch To Systemd Or Upstart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    (...) the documentation on upstart is practically non-existant, (...)
    There are extensive manpages, as well as the Cookbook?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      Can you show us those calculations, or are you just trying to make your opinion sound sciency?
      I'll invent one just for you.

Distro-Life-Span = (userconstant)(# of users)*(developerconstant)(# of developers)*(moneyconstant)(#project's available cash)*(softwareconstant)(#new and original software and ideas)*(being in the news constant)(# of news sites that talk about the distro) + or - the position of planets in the sky

Comment

Personally, I'd like to see Debian go with OpenRC. It is community-developed, kernel-agnostic and easy to understand. It would also be good for OpenRC if it stopped being essentially Gentoo-only and had Debian backing. It is certainly miles better than SysV init that Debian currently uses.

Realistically, though, they will go either Upstart or systemd, and between these two, systemd is a far better option, IMHO. If you're going to depend on a commercial distro to write your init code, I'd much rather it be RedHat than Canonical, for all sorts of bloody obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I would appreciate a lot if Systemd stops being Linux specific and gets ported to other non-Linux systems, it could be positive for everyone. It would be more tested and more software would support it.
          Not all programs need to be cross-platform. System-level applications should focus on a single platform.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Not all programs need to be cross-platform. System-level applications should focus on a single platform.
            What, don't you want to embrace the speed of systemd when booting your microwave oven ?

Comment

OpenRC is not regarded as contender

The systemd and Upstart proponents may not agree on much. But one thing which they do agree on is that they do not consider OpenRC a serious contender for becoming the default init system to replace sysvinit in Debian.

The arguments against OpenRC are mostly that it is not a modern event based system (whether that definition of "modern" makes sense or not) and that it is merely sysvinit with some problems fixed. Which is why a certain crowd likes OpenRC, while a second, much larger crowd prefers more disruptive changes because they expect more gains from switching to systemd or Upstart.

Originally posted by wargames View Post
              System-level applications should focus on a single platform.
              I don't think that this statement is substantiated in any way.

Comment

Based on what I read in this thread and my personal experience with systemd, the obvious choice is OpenRC. That, or keep sysvinit that has worked perfectly for many years…
                Last edited by stqn; 28 October 2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

systemd is awesome

Originally posted by doom_Oo7
                  What, don't you want to embrace the speed of systemd when booting your microwave oven ?
                  My microwave is already booting with systemd, and damn man, it's now much faster than before

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
                    God! It's systemd vs Upstart! Nobody mentioned OpenRC. Nobody cares about OpenRC. Nobody uses OpenRC.
                    Gentoo uses OpenRC
                    Upstart put side by side with systemd make Upstart look like just a ugly hack
                    soon Ubuntu will be the only one using Upstart or what's left of it because they are already using systemd components to keep up wiht systemd development

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                      Gentoo's openrc works on both Linux and FreeBSD (also ArchBSD uses it).
                      Arch switched to systemd last year
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X