Debian To Switch To Systemd Or Upstart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I only use Linux and really like it, but times changes and maybe later there will be other systems that are greater, then you want portability.

I only used BSD and Solaris for a couple of minutes in a virtual machine, never on real hardware.

But portability is great. I like to keep my doors open and have alternatives and an escape route.
    I disagree here.
    I prefer something that use 100% of the kernel capability. If and when I will need to change the kernel, then I will put in count the need to use another init system, but for the time I remain on linux, I don't want middle way.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      hehe
      i wish people would stop believing all that crap put out by gnome, console-kit and systemd people

to add
      gnome "you can do what you like, we extendable" http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/...ing-in-threes/ (this is pure comedy)
      even gnome 2 was dropped from slackware as it was idiotically hard to maintain

systemd argument "init scripts are horrible and complicated" check slackware init scripts, it's where i learned (proper) scripting
      bonus http://merlyn.cz/?p=65

pottering and the rest of em have a grand idea of a GNOME OS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME#Systemd_controversy
      they do not care about anything or anybody else (also check MIR/unity; same crap only gnome wants the kernel and init, not the display)
      http://sporkbox.us/blog/?r=page/95 (arch should rethink their "Keep It Simple" motto)

faster boot times is also a fallacy as faster (parallel daemon initiation) boot times can be accomplished in many other, non intrusive, ways (even in scripts)
      mind you faster boot times is the main argument that spawns fanboys

they even want to make cgroups systemd only...

and that is by the guy that linus yelled at for being an idiot
      (thank god theres linus)

single minded decision making leads to bad decisions, as shown by gnome and the croatian government

anyway, i personally dont care about this all as it does'nt affect me
      if you gonna use only the latest gnome3 then this is awsome for you

im just trying to teach people that there is many ways of doing things (in programming), use your brain
      dont believe everything your read, especially if its presented in a non-sciency way (aka propaganda, read lennart's and (at least some) gnome devs blogs for examples)

PS i had over 100 console-kits running in the background at one point... genious
      Great! someone has put together a complete list with linux related tin foil hat blogs!

Comment

Seems like one of those damned if you do damned if you don't cases. There are big political and technical factors going for and against the 2. Knowing Debian's conservative approach I'm surprised OpenRC isn't the prime candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
          gnome: we demand logind so we demand systemd
          systemd-maintainer: we dont seperate the systemd moduls into own packages
          systemd: we dont do your work
          GNOME does NOT require logind. Get your facts straight!

Speaking as a GNOME release team member. Suggest to stop making up bullshit (or I'll make you look like a fool :P).

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
            Seems like one of those damned if you do damned if you don't cases. There are big political and technical factors going for and against the 2. Knowing Debian's conservative approach I'm surprised OpenRC isn't the prime candidate.
            OpenRC is not a contender because it is not a replacement for ConsoleKit. logind is.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
              [*]RedHat seems to slowly force other distributions to use it, by making other software depending on [systemd]
              Or maybe the developers of other software see a feature of systemd that allows them to enhance/simplify their own software, so they decide to adopt it. That doesn't sound so conspiratory anymore, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                GNOME does NOT require logind. Get your facts straight!

Speaking as a GNOME release team member. Suggest to stop making up bullshit (or I'll make you look like a fool :P).
                are you sure ?
                as stated here you can check it to be true that gnome needs systemd (read first couple comments for clarity)

alternative is console-kit, that is dead upstream so its not a real alternative

also "its open source so you can make it run that way" is not an answer
                Last edited by gens; 28 October 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

"Linux is doing wonderfully well in so many different areas, but I still am somewhat disappointed about the fact that Linux desktop is this morass of in-fighting and people who do bad things," he said. "I do hope the desktop people will try to work together, and work more on the technology than trying to make the login screen look really nice," he added.
                  ————By: Linus Torvalds: SteamOS will "really help" Linux on desktop
                  Too many hatred and endless in-fighting,Don't you think so? It's a no win situation.

Comment

Monocultures are dangerous to any ecosystem. I hope that they go for Upstart, so that we have a large counterweight to systemd with Debian, Ubuntu and derivatives.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                      are you sure ?
                      as stated here you can check it to be true that gnome needs systemd (read first couple comments for clarity)

alternative is console-kit, that is dead upstream so its not a real alternative

also "its open source so you can make it run that way" is not an answer
                      Oh my god gens, STAHP >_< People quoting wrong marketing articles is like the bane of my existence on these forums...

Fourth paragraph down in the very LWN article you linked...

TO CLARIFY, so that other people ARE NOT misinformed. Gnome does not depend directly upon logind, or systemd. What gnome depends upon is the DBUS Interfaces that Logind presents so that there is a UNIFYING effort in Linux. Now, to repeat: Logind is not required. Its DBUS interfaces, however, ARE-- specifically.. only 2 of them. What does that mean for people on non-systemd systems? You can continue to use Gnome and NOT logind, AS LONG AS you have a piece of software that supplies the necessary interfaces that are required.

You want to go out and make a new login program like logind, but that isnt logind? Awesome, great, maintain backwards compatibility with the DBUS API's and no one will care.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X