Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Celebrates Its Ninth Birthday Amid Controversy

Phoronix: Ubuntu Celebrates Its Ninth Birthday Amid Controversy

It was on this day nine years ago that Mark Shuttleworh announced the first Ubuntu Linux release, Ubuntu 14.10 "Warty Warthog", but the conversation this weekend hasn't been about how Ubuntu has advanced the Linux desktop and its adoption for nearly the past decade but rather Mark's comments about anti-Mir Linux users and the disgruntled open-source users/developers as a result...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MTI

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by movieman View Post
    Again, many of us only use copyleft licenses because copyright exists.
    Wrong. If the only reason you use a copyleft license is because copyright exists, then you don't mind people not publishing code based on your (because, again, with no regulation, nobody mandates them to), so you all would be far better with non-copyleft licenses, as BSD.

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    There'd be a need, as without copyright there is no copyleft..
    Again, many of us only use copyleft licenses because copyright exists.

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by movieman View Post
    Uh, without copyright, there'd be little need for open source licenses, because anyone who got a copy of the source for any program could use it any way they wanted. The GPL is primarily a reaction to software copyright, and many of us would be happy to see it go away if software copyright did.
    There'd be a need, as without copyright there is no copyleft. IF you manage to find the source code of derivatives, there is no need. But what happens when you don't?

The only kind of license that would go unneeded would be the liberal license.

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    No it's not. The whole concept of open source depends on a governing body who enforces licenses, that is, there needs to be regulation of what corporations are allowed to do with open source software, to enforce copyleft. Libertarianism is more concerned with minimizing all regulation, which would also make the functioning of open source impossible.
    Uh, without copyright, there'd be little need for open source licenses, because anyone who got a copy of the source for any program could use it any way they wanted. The GPL is primarily a reaction to software copyright, and many of us would be happy to see it go away if software copyright did.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
    All my knowledge is, however, of Debian-type distros, so RHEL derivatives are going to be a bit of a hump.
    That difference is often overstated, methinks. But you seem to have a good list.

Leave a comment:

• RoboJ1M
    replied
    Well, I've almost completely fried my 12.04 installation at home and it's in desperate need of a rebuild.

So I've decided to have a bash with the other major distros, see how they've come along since I last tried them.
    That was about 10 years ago, I went back to XP and then ditched it for Ubuntu circa 6.06.

I've got the following to try:

Archlinux 2013.10.01 (not sure about this, probably too techie)
    openSUSE 12.3 GNOME
    Fedora (19-1?)
    Ubuntu 13.10
    Debian 7.2
    Linux MINT 15 Cinnamon

I've decided not to try:

PCLinuxOS (I don't like KDE)
    CentOS
    Mageia (KDE)
    Slackware Linux (only interested in everyday-linuxes, not techie ones)
    FreeBSD (not Linux)

However: A quick check of the Plex site shows that the Plex Media Server is only (officially) available for Ubuntu, Fedora and CentOS.
    So maybe I'll add CentOS to the list.
    All my knowledge is, however, of Debian-type distros, so RHEL derivatives are going to be a bit of a hump.
    Last edited by RoboJ1M; 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    Yes yes but he/she was talking about detection during installation so isn't that the debian partman packages in ubiquity detecting the other partitions not grub?
    If you're talking about auto mounting, then yes, that's the partition manager doing the detection, and yes, openSUSE does that perfectly fine as well.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by BSDude View Post
    Lol, even PCBSD has most of that stuff
    Actually... yes.

Leave a comment:

• BSDude
    replied
    Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
    Powdigsig, can you answer me this honestly; have you ever looked beyond Ubuntu to other mainstream distro's? This has been standard functionality on Linux (not only Ubuntu, but on Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian, Arch, Mageia, etc) for years.

I seriously get the feeling that Ubuntu users simply (incorrectly) assume that all the niceties in Ubuntu are Ubuntu specific innovations and that all other distro's are like Linux From Scratch and only have a command line and a vi editor.

Broaden your horizon, most of the nice stuff in Ubuntu doesn't originate with Ubuntu.
    Lol, even PCBSD has most of that stuff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X