Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Celebrates Its Ninth Birthday Amid Controversy

Phoronix: Ubuntu Celebrates Its Ninth Birthday Amid Controversy

It was on this day nine years ago that Mark Shuttleworh announced the first Ubuntu Linux release, Ubuntu 14.10 "Warty Warthog", but the conversation this weekend hasn't been about how Ubuntu has advanced the Linux desktop and its adoption for nearly the past decade but rather Mark's comments about anti-Mir Linux users and the disgruntled open-source users/developers as a result...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu Celebrates Its Ninth Birthday Amid Controversy

Anyhow, getting back on track, it was on 20 October 2004 that Mark announced the Ubuntu 14.10 release.
    Or more likely Ubuntu 04.10
    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Shuttleworth is very lucky his product isn't mainstream in America. His use of "Tea Party" as an insult would easily anger over 1/3 of the population in the US. Not a very smart business move. If he's this clumsy with how he talks, he'll never become mainstream in America. The "P/C police" are everywhere, for any group of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
        Shuttleworth is very lucky his product isn't mainstream in America. His use of "Tea Party" as an insult would easily anger over 1/3 of the population in the US. Not a very smart business move. If he's this clumsy with how he talks, he'll never become mainstream in America. The "P/C police" are everywhere, for any group of people.
        I thoroughly doubt, that the Teabaggers represent one third of the US population - they may *sound* like they do. And I'm not sure how Tea Partiers and "liberal" open source with an African name should go together.

Comment

Why haven't I seen any other distros taking up on the good features of Ubuntu? Is there any other distro out there which can autodetect other OSes during the installation process that Ubuntu does with ubiquity? Nobody ever learns, that's why we have Ubuntu still steaming away...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
            I thoroughly doubt, that the Teabaggers represent one third of the US population - they may *sound* like they do. And I'm not sure how Tea Partiers and "liberal" open source with an African name should go together.
            I live in a liberal area so I don't see anything related to the Tea Party around me. I get the number from several sources, but the number is actually lower now. Before the recent shutdown, just over 40% said they are either part of the movement or support it. Open source ethos is more libertarian than liberal, even if it's comprised more by liberals. Libertarianism is the only political idealogy I know of that calls for the abolition of patents and copyright. Also, open source activists often resort to private solutions rather than getting governments to help them, which is a libertarian notion. Either way, in order to have a "main stream" product, one has to be accepted by the masses...liberal, conservative, libertarian, or authoritarian. If Ubuntu were as big as Apple among users in America, he'd have sparked a firestorm.

For the record, I'm not a member of the Tea Party movement.

Comment

I have a bunch of official canonical ubuntu cd's, the first that came out.

There's an amd64 one, x86 and powerpc. One is orange the other bordeaux.

For all the hate and fuckery that gets thrown their way, they managed to deliver a solid, stable, functional (I wouldn't call it beautiful since gnome3 blargh) distro.

Comment

Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
                Why haven't I seen any other distros taking up on the good features of Ubuntu? Is there any other distro out there which can autodetect other OSes during the installation process that Ubuntu does with ubiquity? Nobody ever learns, that's why we have Ubuntu still steaming away...
                Eh? That's the job of GRUB2. And it does it well. For instance, openSUSE always detects Windows in my dual-boot environment.

Comment

The same as every major distro coming with a default DE.
                  And it's not Ubuntu-only code doing this feature:
                  Code:
                  man grub-mkconfig

Comment

Powdigsig, can you answer me this honestly; have you ever looked beyond Ubuntu to other mainstream distro's? This has been standard functionality on Linux (not only Ubuntu, but on Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian, Arch, Mageia, etc) for years.

I seriously get the feeling that Ubuntu users simply (incorrectly) assume that all the niceties in Ubuntu are Ubuntu specific innovations and that all other distro's are like Linux From Scratch and only have a command line and a vi editor.

Broaden your horizon, most of the nice stuff in Ubuntu doesn't originate with Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X