Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have installed Kubuntu 13.10 on my laptop with Radeon graphics

I have included the kernel parameter radeon.dpm=1, and I am using the open source radeon driver. So far, very nice indeed.

I do have one question that readers here may be able to assist with.

Code:
    $ uname -r
    3.11.0-12-generic

$ dmesg | grep UVD
    [    3.884511] [drm] UVD initialized successfully.

$ vdpauinfo 
    display: :0   screen: 0
    Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_r600.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Error creating VDPAU device: 1
    OK, so how do I get UVD hardware video acceleration via vdpau working properly?

Comment

Install the package that provides "libvdpau_r600.so", obviously. On openSUSE it would be literally the package called libvdpau_r600, but I'm not sure what it would be on Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        In during people hate on Ubuntu because it's popular and easy to use, and Linux no longer makes them seem super 1337 smart for using it.

The point of free software is to be free(and effective). Not to be part of your secret 1337 hardcore h4ck3r club.
        So you think the abomination called Unity and the built in spyware has nothing to do with it? Ubuntu is the Windows 8 of linux.

Comment

Using it now... can't lie: absolutely impressed by it.

It's stable, fast and overall decent... I believe this is, by far, the best version of ubuntu to date and certainly one of the better distros available.

That said, since I learned to properly setup arch and grown accostumed to openbox I don't think I will be using it

I really dislike anything based off of gnome3, the look, the feel, the bloat...

compiz 66mb
          gnome settings daemon 30
          unity scope loader 14
          unity panel service 9

I am yet to purge the video/photo/shopping lenses to save ram but last time I did in 13.04 it bricked the system so...

Nice to see that my fears about SNA and gm45 seem to have been for nothing, the occasional font glitch (where a single letter appears all garbled) does occur but I remember the horrible multiple glitches all over icons/bars/windows and they seem much improved

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available For Download

Canonical is releasing Ubuntu 13.10 today, on the same day Microsoft is shipping Windows 8.1...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4ODQ
            Go here:

Click on "mesa - <something_here>~r", look for "libg3dvl-mesa" under "Package files", download the respective .deb file (example: libg3dvl-mesa_10.0~git1310161456.6e444a+glvdpau~gd~r_amd64. deb ), then add "VDPAU_DRIVER=r600" to /etc/environment or to ~/.bashrc

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              Using it now... can't lie: absolutely impressed by it.

It's stable, fast and overall decent... I believe this is, by far, the best version of ubuntu to date and certainly one of the better distros available.

That said, since I learned to properly setup arch and grown accostumed to openbox I don't think I will be using it

I really dislike anything based off of gnome3, the look, the feel, the bloat...

compiz 66mb
              gnome settings daemon 30
              unity scope loader 14
              unity panel service 9

I am yet to purge the video/photo/shopping lenses to save ram but last time I did in 13.04 it bricked the system so...

Nice to see that my fears about SNA and gm45 seem to have been for nothing, the occasional font glitch (where a single letter appears all garbled) does occur but I remember the horrible multiple glitches all over icons/bars/windows and they seem much improved
              I'm unable to install it, something is messed up with repos, I guess (I ppa-purged them all, but it seems something is still off), and UEFI complains about something when I try to boot my pendrive. It goes into GRUB too fast for me to be able to read exactly what's the problem. Do any of you know if UEFI logs things somewhere?

Comment

Does someone know if exist a workaround for this problem happening on Ubuntu 13.10 with nvidia 319.60 and Kernel 3.11?
                NVIDIA used to be commendably quick to provide a driver update that supported the latest Linux kernels, but there is still no driver for Kernel 3.11 - which has been released for several weeks now. The most recently released driver is ‘legacy’ version 173.14.38, released on September 4, which - frustratingly - does compile cleanly with kernel 3.11.x, and even compiles with kernel 3.12-rc, but is not much help, as it does not support recent GPUs… Yes, there is a simple patch for drivers 319.49 ...

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                  Go here:

Click on "mesa - <something_here>~r", look for "libg3dvl-mesa" under "Package files", download the respective .deb file (example: libg3dvl-mesa_10.0~git1310161456.6e444a+glvdpau~gd~r_amd64. deb ), then add "VDPAU_DRIVER=r600" to /etc/environment or to ~/.bashrc
                  That works, thankyou very much. vdpauinfo now reports vdpau is available.

I have ticked the configuration box in VLC that says "Use GPU accelerated decoding", but I have no idea how to tell if this works.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
                    [..]
                    I have ticked the configuration box in VLC that says "Use GPU accelerated decoding", but I have no idea how to tell if this works.
                    If you run vlc in console, you should be able to see in the output it gives...

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
                      That works, thankyou very much. vdpauinfo now reports vdpau is available.

Mesa 10 in git has several fixes for r600g VDPAU support that VLC needs. 9.2 support was based mostly on getting mplayer to work.

Comment

Working...
                      X