Ubuntu 13.10 Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    Same for me - Ubuntu was a good distro for a while, but that was a couple of years ago. Now it's a cancer on the community.
    +1

I started my Linux journey on Ubuntu (Hardy Heron). Absolutely nothing would make me consider installing this crap. I'm a happy Arch user now.

Comment

As an end user, I hope Ubuntu Touch succeeds. I've given up on a company releasing a modern Linux friendly version of this:

Comment

Same for me - Ubuntu was a good distro for a while, but that was a couple of years ago. Now it's a cancer on the community.
        That's how I used to feel and then I realized I could still run gnome-panel. Then I was like, "Oh! Oh I guess this isn't so bad..."

Even still, it's about that time when somebody else comes along and carries the torch.

Comment

It was for me up until Unity. Now I'm all about Xubuntu, while being based off Ubuntu, is light years ahead of vanilla Ubuntu.

Also Xubuntu plans to use Wayland in the future.

Comment

Well, obviously not much has changed and won't change with 14.04 either, as the focus is on Unity8, Mir and Core Apps. Ubuntu 14.10 will have nothing to do with Ubuntu 13.10/14.04, wonder if they will ship anything from GNOME at all then. And I am really excited!

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
              Also Xubuntu plans to use Wayland in the future.
              I'm all for Xubuntu on Wayland, but can you backup that claim? AFAIK, not even XFCE knows if they will go Wayland (I'm pretty sure they won't go Mir, though, but they could as well just keep using X11), so there's no way Xubuntu can be sure they will be able to use Wayland.

Comment

I wonder why people keeps complaining about ubuntu. It's not like you cannot remove (say, lightdm-*) or install (say, xubuntu-desktop) packages. Also, you probably WILL have the option to install both wayland and Mir (weston is in the official repos...). You can even install MATE ( http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/downloa...310_repository ) in your system. You could have ALL the DEs installed, you can try them all, you can do whatever you want.
                Why are you still complaining? The only thing I would understand is to complain about outdated packages/removed packaged (has happened to me a lot), but then, you HAVE options too (build manually, use some PPA, use debian packages in extreme cases, ...).
                Stop complaining, propose solutions and don't be part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                  I wonder why people keeps complaining about ubuntu. It's not like you cannot remove (say, lightdm-*) or install (say, xubuntu-desktop) packages. Also, you probably WILL have the option to install both wayland and Mir (weston is in the official repos...). You can even install MATE ( http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/downloa...310_repository ) in your system. You could have ALL the DEs installed, you can try them all, you can do whatever you want.
                  Why are you still complaining? The only thing I would understand is to complain about outdated packages/removed packaged (has happened to me a lot), but then, you HAVE options too (build manually, use some PPA, use debian packages in extreme cases, ...).
                  Stop complaining, propose solutions and don't be part of the problem.
                  you're lucky to get Debian packages working on a CrapWare like Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    Well, obviously not much has changed and won't change with 14.04 either, as the focus is on Unity8, Mir and Core Apps. Ubuntu 14.10 will have nothing to do with Ubuntu 13.10/14.04, wonder if they will ship anything from GNOME at all then. And I am really excited!
                    Unity7 is mature now, works fine for me since 13.04. Can't wait to start testing Unity8 with Mir on my notebook :-)

Comment

I'm back to Debian, since I thought it's user friendly enough (for me) so that I don't need to go with Ubuntu. Something like Lubuntu still gives you a lean and efficient system with the prooven UI.

Comment

Working...
                      X