Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.10 Final Beta Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Final Beta Released

If you haven't grabbed it yet, the final (and only official) beta of Ubuntu 13.10 is now available while derivatives like Kubuntu and Xubuntu are on their second and final beta releases ahead of the 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" release next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

gnome-session-flashback

Does gnome-session-flashback work?

When I try to login to the session, it fails and logins into Unity instead.

Comment

In other news, for those looking for an alternative to Ubuntu, Tanglu are preparing for their first release.

Tanglu is a Debian-derivative aiming for regular two-monthly releases, as a more up-to-date Debian desktop distribution. They are still small, but look promising.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        In 13.04 it had a problem with maximized windows, when clicking the close button for example it wouldn't register it and send it to the windows behind the current window. Nasty bug since February that they never fixed. So I wouldn't get my hopes too high for the fallback mode to work. In Ubuntu what is not Unity seems to not get the same attention.
        Yes, I know!
        I've had this exact same bug too!

But what else to do?
        Unity sucks, gnome-shell sucks. Flashback is my only choice...
        ...well Cinnamon shows promise, but its too slow. I have to wait 100+ ms for the menu to appear.

Comment

In 13.04 it had a problem with maximized windows, when clicking the close button for example it wouldn't register it and send it to the windows behind the current window. Nasty bug since February that they never fixed. So I wouldn't get my hopes too high for the fallback mode to work. In Ubuntu what is not Unity seems to not get the same attention.
          Ubuntu GnomeFlashback users are a sub-set of sub set of gnome 3 users on ubuntu right? I'm not entirely surprised that they have issues getting patches done. Its sucks to be a minority user and without a dedicated group to create and submit patches, you'll never see any.

Comment

This bug has been fixed in Compiz version that is in 13.10.

XMir still isn't enabled by default. This will probably change before FinalFreeze October 10th. If you want to test it now you have to enable universe repo and install unity-system-compositor package. Then you have to reboot or restart LightDM with this command:

Code:
            sudo restart lightdm
            You can check if XMir is running with this commands:

Code:
            ps aux | grep unity-system-compositor
            grep -i xmir /var/log/Xorg.0.log
            ls -l /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log
            The second one should print something like LoadModule: XMir, the first one should look like on this image.

Comment

Wait People use Ubuntu? "Steam OS" FTW!!!! and Btw All releases of Ubuntu are Beta's

Comment

Yes that bug is fixed and besides that both Compiz and Unity got many, many more fixes in Ubuntu 13.10 and they will get even more before the final release.

Radeon DPM isn't enabled by default as far I'm aware but 13.10 has the appropriate 3.11 kernel for this function. Phoronix described how to enable DPM in this article.

There are also answers on AskUbuntu the one accepted looks better.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
                  Tanglu is a Debian-derivative aiming for regular two-monthly releases, as a more up-to-date Debian desktop distribution. They are still small, but look promising.
                  And SolydXK is doing the same with a monthly schedule, they don't even "look promising", they are already delivering a stable yet updated desktop, it even bundles steam and codecs, allows the installing of proprietary drivers in the very welcome screen, etc.

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPdHeLaRuCU

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
                    In other news, for those looking for an alternative to Ubuntu, Tanglu are preparing for their first release.

6mo's releases and don't call it a alternative to Ubuntu just call it the "Ubuntu Slayer" ohh wait or did Steam OS do just that>?

Comment

Working...
                    X