Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gNewSense 3.0 Switches From Ubuntu To Debian

Phoronix: gNewSense 3.0 Switches From Ubuntu To Debian

For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over the quality, richness, and features of a Linux distribution, gNewSense 3.0 is now available. The gNewSense 3.0 release now supports three architectures and has switched from an Ubuntu base to now using Debain Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one who thinks "gNewSense" sounds like "nuisance"?

Anyway, good move on their part. Switching to Debian should make their work a little easier, since they follow the DFSG.

Comment

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
      Am I the only one who thinks "gNewSense" sounds like "nuisance"?

Anyway, good move on their part. Switching to Debian should make their work a little easier, since they follow the DFSG.
      I always thought the resemblance to "nuisance" was intentional.

Comment

For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over the quality, richness, and features of a Linux distribution, gNewSense 3.0 is now available.
        Sums up FOSS ideals pretty well.

Comment

it's Lemote YeeloOng

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over actually being able to use their computer.
            There, fixed.

Comment

Thanks for making news of this, and very much thank you for writing a neutral and objective article. Will install gNewSense on my laptop, and everything just works, and more, there is nothing I need to install out of the repos.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                Thanks for making news of this, and very much thank you for writing a neutral and objective article. Will install gNewSense on my laptop, and everything just works, and more, there is nothing I need to install out of the repos.
                Let me know how that goes considering gnewsense has almost zero support for any type of wifi chips due to not having binary firmware blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  Let me know how that goes considering gnewsense has almost zero support for any type of wifi chips due to not having binary firmware blobs.
                  Everything just works except 3D-acceleration, which I don't need. It does not have Wi-Fi. The laptop is about more than 10 years old and serves me as an emergency backup laptop.

I had another laptop with working Wi-Fi and 3D acceleration. It had NVIDIA graphics, but I don't remember what Wi-Fi chip it had. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore.

Comment

I never understood their reasoning to not accept closed firmware.

Comment

Working...
                    X