Fedora 19 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Don't be lazy I reinstall everything, and it keeps PCs clean. It's a good incentive to remove unnecessary data off your disk, and also roots out any possible problems with misconfiguration that can arise between different versions. And if you think it's a pain to reinstall every 6 months, you can use a distro with a slower release cycle Or just don't upgrade at all. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Our laptop in the household still runs on openSUSE 12.2, because it works just fine. I'll upgrade only once 12.2 goes out of support.
    I save the commands I use in a text file. On a new system I just copy/paste. My favorite is su -c 'yum install program1 program2 ... '

Don't upgrade:
    Now this is silly. There's too much improvements in GNOME alone to stick to Fedora 18 which is limited to Gnome 3.6.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Don't be lazy I reinstall everything, and it keeps PCs clean. It's a good incentive to remove unnecessary data off your disk, and also roots out any possible problems with misconfiguration that can arise between different versions. And if you think it's a pain to reinstall every 6 months, you can use a distro with a slower release cycle Or just don't upgrade at all. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Our laptop in the household still runs on openSUSE 12.2, because it works just fine. I'll upgrade only once 12.2 goes out of support.
      Generally i upgrade Fedora after 3 - 4 versions have shipped, even though it means going for 2 releases without support. The main thing is to make sure that that the repositories stay active so that it is possible to pull any dependencies that may be needed for certain stuff down the line.

generally if one installs all the *-devel packages and essential *.i686 packages for glibc, mesa, x, libstdc++, GTK2, GTK3, Qt4, Pulseaudio. JSon, etc etc (assuming 64-bit Fedora is installed) from the repositories there should be little to no need to ever touch the package manager for anything else for a very, very long time.

Comment

Great Fedora release! I have it on my work computer, upgraded with fedup and it works like a charm. In my home I have a Debian Sid installed, I like it too, but I will change it to Fedora when it comes with Wayland. Keep the good work!

It's only left the rolling release system and it will be my perfect distro... dreaming!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
          Don't upgrade:
          Now this is silly. There's too much improvements in GNOME alone to stick to Fedora 18 which is limited to Gnome 3.6.
          In which case you should be fine with reinstalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
            I've had the worst Linux experiences with Fedora (particularly 18 and 16), that I think I'll pass this time (the only reason I kept trying was because my first Linux experience was with Fedora (Fedora Core 6, I think)). Last time neither proprietary nor open-source video drivers worked so had to fallback to VESA (open-source for Intel and AMD didn't recognize the models, and I upgraded to the latest with yum; proprietary Catalyst seg faulted).
            Thats....bizarre. Name and models of your cards? Unless you have PowerVR graphics, you should be golden with Intel graphics on linux. AMD supports everything back to r300 which should handle most things that are still in use and usable. If Catalyst segfaulted its possible that you were using a version of catalyst that didn't support the version of X you were on, you have to remember that Catalyst lags behind on supporting X versions by sometimes months at a time.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
              If you may share your device specification, many of Fedora guys here might help.

Fedora 19 is equipped with latest open source graphic stack. It should be fine with majority of GPUs.
              Fedora is supposed to 'just work' out of the box, like Ubuntu; if I want to tweak here and there, I do so explicitly by using Gentoo. I just had time to look at X's logs, upgraded to the devel versiones of the drivers, try Catalyst, and take a look at the logs again to see what failed. Not even the drivers from devel recognized the chips, and Catalyst broke X. Sorry, but VESA is not an option.
              Another thing I really disliked was the new installer. Has it changed? I found it the most anti intuitive installer I've seen in my life.

Comment

Which GPU(s) do you have ?
                Test signature

Comment

Another thing I really disliked was the new installer. Has it changed? I found it the most anti intuitive installer I've seen in my life.
                  Yes the installer changed with F18. It was pretty rough in F18, but F19 smoothed out most of the things I hated (I do wish there was an option to enable compression if you select BTRFS as the install-target, maybe F20). It still has a few things that bug the crap out of me, but for the most part its pretty good.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

This. I was too scared to install F19 because I didn't know what the installer was going to do after I selected the partition. Horrible setup.

Comment

Have there been any significant changes in wifi drivers or power management (from 18 to 19)? I'm experiencing an annoying regression where whenever I'm downloading something wlp3s0 consumes over 12W and I get about 1% of battery drained per minute.

Don't mean to knock on an otherwise great release.

Comment

Working...
                      X