• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian-based distros

Hello,
    I have a two part question:
    1) Debian-based distros for desktop
    I am curious of which debian-based distros one would recommend. Currently, I have an AMD computer in which Debian (Etch upgraded to Testing), Kubuntu and Fedora 8 (test 3) are installed.

I have had problems with my Debian partition as I cannot get my wireless to work. The KNetwork Manager and System (settings) both won't allow a connection and I want WPA but only WEP is available. I plan on re-installing on top of that rather than to keep trying to fix it. I installed Kubuntu 7.10 on another partition and my wireless works fine. The USB adapter I bought seems to be a decent choice as I have had wireless connections on 3 liveCDs so far (Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Fedora).

I am building a 2nd computer, Intel box and I plan on having XP and three distros installed. I was thinking of the following Debian-based distros:

Sidux
    Kanotix
    Simply Mepis
    Debian Testing
    Kubuntu 7.10 (stay with?)

But, for a newbie, is there ones that are better suited? I am concerned about upgrading and breakages. I had Debian Etch on my current computer but upgrading seemed to make things harder for setting up wireless. I haven't been able to find a way to set up WPA let alone get a connection. The fact that I could set up rather easily on my Kubuntu 7.10 installation suggests I shouldn't have to do much extra (so no need for ndiswrapper).

So, the two main issues or concerns are upgrading/use of packages and wireless. It is my guess that going with a later kernel might make it easier to configure wireless. There seems to be more updates with drivers and attempts to make installation easier?

2) Second part of this question regards laptops. I would like to buy a (relatively cheap) laptop so I am wondering which debian-based distro is good for laptops. I expect I need a distro that has a good system for configuring and detecting hardware. Wireless and video (graphics controllers) are probably the two main concerns here, right?

I will probably have Fedora 8 on either the current computer or on both computers but I found it to be rather buggy (Test 3) so I will wait for the release in November. ;-)

I am more used to Debian (although not really as I usually obtain assistance) so I am asking about debian-based distros.

Sorry if this is too long. I have googled but I still have no idea if any particular distro is better suited. I'll probably try the three or four mentioned but if there is anything to keep in mind (regarding any), I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks (in advance).

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Hello,
    I have a two part question:
    1) Debian-based distros for desktop
    I am curious of which debian-based distros one would recommend. Currently, I have an AMD computer in which Debian (Etch upgraded to Testing), Kubuntu and Fedora 8 (test 3) are installed.

I have had problems with my Debian partition as I cannot get my wireless to work. The KNetwork Manager and System (settings) both won't allow a connection and I want WPA but only WEP is available. I plan on re-installing on top of that rather than to keep trying to fix it. I installed Kubuntu 7.10 on another partition and my wireless works fine. The USB adapter I bought seems to be a decent choice as I have had wireless connections on 3 liveCDs so far (Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Fedora).

I am building a 2nd computer, Intel box and I plan on having XP and three distros installed. I was thinking of the following Debian-based distros:

Sidux
    Kanotix
    Simply Mepis
    Debian Testing
    Kubuntu 7.10 (stay with?)

But, for a newbie, is there ones that are better suited? I am concerned about upgrading and breakages. I had Debian Etch on my current computer but upgrading seemed to make things harder for setting up wireless. I haven't been able to find a way to set up WPA let alone get a connection. The fact that I could set up rather easily on my Kubuntu 7.10 installation suggests I shouldn't have to do much extra (so no need for ndiswrapper).

So, the two main issues or concerns are upgrading/use of packages and wireless. It is my guess that going with a later kernel might make it easier to configure wireless. There seems to be more updates with drivers and attempts to make installation easier?

2) Second part of this question regards laptops. I would like to buy a (relatively cheap) laptop so I am wondering which debian-based distro is good for laptops. I expect I need a distro that has a good system for configuring and detecting hardware. Wireless and video (graphics controllers) are probably the two main concerns here, right?

I will probably have Fedora 8 on either the current computer or on both computers but I found it to be rather buggy (Test 3) so I will wait for the release in November. ;-)

I am more used to Debian (although not really as I usually obtain assistance) so I am asking about debian-based distros.

Sorry if this is too long. I have googled but I still have no idea if any particular distro is better suited. I'll probably try the three or four mentioned but if there is anything to keep in mind (regarding any), I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks (in advance).
    Any of the distros you mentioned would be a fine addition to anyones computer, it just depends on how
    much effort you are willing to make to "learn" new
    proceedures keep your distros up to date with security
    and usability. Ubuntu provides a lot of useful documentation and support and is more oriented to new users. However the others are for more advanced and curious users, you will have to decide what it is you are. So bottom line, if you can do your own research and don't depend on others use the more aggressive distros in the order you have shown, otherwise stick with Ubuntu and a kde desktop.

Comment

I recommend using sidux if you would like to be uptodate, or if you prefer stability over new packages (well, some packages are backported), use KANOTIX.

Comment

Working...
      X