LXDE-Based Lubuntu Will Not Ship Mir Display Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Indeed. As I pointed out on my first post, this makes sense, but I didn't think previously about that. I still consider this kind of solution a hack, since you add a whole layer of rather complex software to solve it. Both Wayland and Mir are probably more real solutions to this kind of problem, the same way using OpenGL pageflips on a more native way is a real solution.

I actually read it as you intended. But I thought an explanation of why this was relevant was needed, so I did give the reason I though it was working that way

On the text input, have you tried with a text editor? I don't remember having problems with Firefox, but I didn't do extensive testing on that side (just the basic usage to log on the memory use, the last time, and I save it in a text file).

On Lubuntu not considering XMir, I think it totally makes sense (disregard the fact I generally feel XMir is not a good solution for a desktop), since they don't want to use compositing at all, of any kind. Their reason is completely consistent with their aim, which is minimal memory use (I said it a thousand times, but to avoid any confusion I'll say it again: I'm not saying Mir will increase memory use itself, but the buffers required for compositing).
    You are right, pure wayland and mir are certainly the proper solution to this issue, but projects like XFCE have very limited manpower and are unlikely to support anything other than X for the foreseeable future, so because of that it is nice to have a compatibility layer that can solve this issue.

I booted the iso again to test for input lag. tested abiword and mousepad, absolutely no input lag when typing I did notice a few different input related issues though. When I hit alt + f2 to bring up the xfce run prompt it would just freeze until I hit alt + f2 again (at which point the run prompt would come up instantly). Alt tab worked fine though, so it didn't seem like all keyboard shortcuts lagged or anything. It is still early days though and I am confident these issues will be sorted out, since canonical intends to run their entire unity 7 desktop on xmir in the future (I agree if you think about whats going on under the hood that is pretty hacky lol, but it is only a temporary solution until unity 8 is finished).
    Last edited by bwat47; 05 August 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      You are right, pure wayland and mir are certainly the proper solution to this issue, but projects like XFCE have very limited manpower and are unlikely to support anything other than X for the foreseeable future, so because of that it is nice to have a compatibility layer that can solve this issue.

I booted the iso again to test for input lag. tested abiword and mousepad, absolutely no input lag when typing I did notice a few different input related issues though. When I hit alt + f2 to bring up the xfce run prompt it would just freeze until I hit alt + f2 again (at which point the run prompt would come up instantly). Alt tab worked fine though, so it didn't seem like all keyboard shortcuts lagged or anything. It is still early days though and I am confident these issues will be sorted out, since canonical intends to run their entire unity 7 desktop on xmir in the future (I agree if you think about whats going on under the hood that is pretty hacky lol, but it is only a temporary solution until unity 8 is finished).
      I checked on Launchpad and what I was talking about is already reported and assigned.

Comment

Working...
      X