Fedora 19 Release Candidate 1 Is Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Fedora is a distro by Fedora devs for (Fedora) devs, non friendly and you have to be well aware how the dev process works.
    No, that's not it at all. It's just that these are not public release images. They are validation testing images. With many projects you'd never find out about their existence at all.

Comment

The installer is very unresponsive when running in virtualbox. Especially when adding a keyboard layout, the search may take 10 seconds between keywords.

Also, when the password used is short, the installer does nothing when clicking done the first time. Only after second time. In old installer it asked "are you sure you want to use short password?" This should be added back.

Other than that it seems like a very nice release.
      Last edited by varikonniemi; 26 June 2013, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        The installer is very unresponsive when running in virtualbox. Especially when adding a keyboard layout, the search may take 10 seconds between keywords.
        Are you running it from the GNOME live image? If so you're probably doing software 3D acceleration for Shell, which will make everything somewhat slow.

Also, when the password used is short, the installer does nothing when clicking done the first time. Only after second time. In old installer it asked "are you sure you want to use short password?" This should be added back.
        It actually does show that message, in a yellow info bar at the bottom of the screen. Did you miss it?

Other than that it seems like a very nice release.
        Thanks!

Comment

yes i did miss it i also keep looking for the done/forward button at the bottom... I guess this is more problems of habit than flaw.

Comment

yes i did miss it i also keep looking for the done/forward button at the bottom... I guess this is more problems of habit than flaw.
            Having done God knows how many F18/F19 installs I can assure you yes, it's pretty much just muscle memory...=) I can click through an F18/F19 install way faster than F17 now.

Comment

Anyone else has noticed worse responsiveness of the Activities in/out animations? I've tried it on some Beta live image and it's equally bad in RC1.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                Good news, cause I just tested the release candidate and I reproduced the crash easily in only 10 seconds. Glad to see that there is a fix coming

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
                  I have been using GNOME 3.8 since Fedora 19 beta as a daily basis. Very rarely gnome shell or nautilus crashed, but that's largely due to the extension I'm playing around with. But nothing like this.

Do you install any nautilus extension?
                  As I said, I reproduced this on a f19 liveusb. No extra extensions. No extra software installed. All stock settings. This is a known bug, and as drago mentioned, there is a fix coming in the next minor gnome release.

Comment

Unrelated but since some members of the QA team hang around this thread I might aswell ask:
                    Should I have taken any extra steps (apart from regular updating via yumex) to convert my Alpha to Beta and now RC?
                    There weren't any updates to download in the last couple of days while almost all previous days had ~300MB worth of updates to download and install, normally I'd assume this is normal but since there's an RC being released I would expect more rather than less updates for my (assumingly) Beta version.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                      Unrelated but since some members of the QA team hang around this thread I might aswell ask:
                      Should I have taken any extra steps (apart from regular updating via yumex) to convert my Alpha to Beta and now RC?
                      There weren't any updates to download in the last couple of days while almost all previous days had ~300MB worth of updates to download and install, normally I'd assume this is normal but since there's an RC being released I would expect more rather than less updates for my (assumingly) Beta version.
                      No, you're fine.

The 'Beta', 'Final', 'TC3' etc etc etc labels only really apply to the images we post; it's a mistake to think of them as applying to your installed system in any way that makes any sense. Once you do an install you should just think of yourself as running 'Fedora 19'. You update it regularly the same way you update a stable release, via PK or yum or yumex or whatever takes your fancy. It doesn't really matter exactly what image you installed with, you are now just on 'F19' like all other F19 users. You can just keep updating regularly, and you'll move along from pre-release to stable release just fine.

The reason you haven't gotten any updates in the last few days is that as we're getting close to final release, we sent out a fedora-release update which disables the 'updates-testing' repository by default. We usually have it enabled by default for pre-releases, to ensure new builds get as much testing as possible; we figure you're signing up for instability by running a pre-release in the first place, and in the pre-release phase, the gateway between updates-testing and 'stable' is mostly used not to protect the stability of users' systems but as the way we keep a known-good package set as a base for image composes.

For stable releases, though, we disable updates-testing by default, obviously, as for a stable release the idea is that most users should get known-good updates from the stable 'updates' repo, and only people who explicitly want to help with update testing should use updates-testing. So there obviously has to be an update at *some* point which makes the switch from 'pre-release, updates-testing enabled by default' state to 'post-release, updates-testing disabled by default' state. This happened a few days back.

Since we're in the freeze for the final release at present, nothing is getting promoted to 'stable' from updates-testing except blocker and freeze exception bug fixes. There aren't many of those (at least when we're doing things right :>). Hence the slowness of the 'update tap' lately: you're now only getting stable updates, and there are not many of those during a freeze. (The pace of change does not *accelerate* as we get close to a release, as you seem to think; it *decelerates*, or it should. When you're doing a build you're trying to iterate towards perfection; if that process involves making more and more changes as you go along, you should seriously consider the possibility that you're doing something badly wrong :>)

If you want to keep getting new builds as they go out, you can simply re-enable the updates-testing repository, and you'll get all the builds that are currently sitting around waiting for the final freeze to be lifted. Or you can wait for the final release to be approved and the freeze lifted, at which point all the updates currently queued for 'stable' status will go out as the big first dump of updates into the 'updates' repository, and you'll get them all as one big lump (the 'pile of updates on release day' that people who don't understand the process of cutting operating system releases always complain about, which we call the '0-day updates').

Hope that made things clearer!

Comment

Working...
                      X