No announcement yet.

16-Way Linux OS Performance Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two things that come to my mind: this is not a 16 way Linux OS comparison, since it also features PC-BSD, DragonflyBSD and Debian Gnu/kFreeBSD, those are not Linux by the very definition.

Also, can we have the graphs like any other site on the web I know of does it? If there is no result for a given OS in a specific benchmark than don't quietly remove it from the graph, leave it in without a result or use a minus sign to show that there is no result. Also, explain why those OSes have no result for that specific benchmark. I can guess that many of the games simply don't run on the OSes with BSD kernel, but why are they omitted in PostgreSQL and other benchmarks? Why is Debian GNU/kFreeBSD missing in some of the benchmarks? Why are there only 12 results in the Tachyon benchmark, where are the other four?

Come on, don't just post the results, explain why there are results missing!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Not if it's a low-end computer (think Atom or AMD Brazos), where such speed increases are visible, and not if you have a distcc/icecream server set up
      Fair point.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        Some times it helps to read the article:
        It's easy to miss something with the way the pages are chopped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          Come on, don't just post the results, explain why there are results missing!

Maybe it is self explainable because one can see he is runing LLVMPipe on both Debian variants.

Maybe he doing it that way because firmware is not loaded by default for that radeon card in Debian linux and with Debian kfreebsd variant because hardware mesa dri is not available at all .

So these are "defaulted" benchmarks - what one would see if he/she does not touch anything, it is - just load & run .
          Last edited by dungeon; 24 June 2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Two things that come to my mind: this is not a 16 way Linux OS comparison
            There is a similar mistake in the closing paragraph:
            There you have it, our 16-way Linux/BSD performance comparison. While there were 14 Linux distributions (and two BSDs) tested
            I count 13 GNU/Linux distributions, two BSD distributions, and GNU/kFreeBSD which I suppose is neither...

Why is Debian GNU/kFreeBSD missing in some of the benchmarks?
            It probably means the Phoronix Test Suite was unable to build/run that test on that system, yet. So whereas PostgreSQL is available as a Debian package, it might have patches applied, build configuration adjusted to make it work; if the PTS were to try to build its own copy of that program, or some other version, it probably won't even compile. This is particularly likely on new or less common distributions.

In other cases it may be due to some missing feature like 3D acceleration, either not properly set up or not available at all. That might result in a pants score or simply not being able to run at all.

Comment

@dungeon and stevenc:
              But that is exactly my point. There should be no "maybe" and "probably", Michael should clearly say why a result is missing or why it is so far off of the rest of the results. If I only want to see the results I can look at OpenBenchmarking.org, there is no need for an article if it misses any explanation of the results (or the lack of results). Where is the journalism here?

Comment

Yep he can say... PCLOS has much better fps because fglrx is used by default and Debian has much worse fps because firmware is not loaded by default :

Otherwise both will be similar to others +- 20% .

As a Debian user i know what to do to make it functional... i just simply install firmwares package which include firmwares for radeon:

And if i want fglrx for card in this benchmark i will install fglrx-legacy:

Last edited by dungeon; 24 June 2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

It would be nice if you had an overall winner by rating each test by a percentage and summing that value.

Comment

You should seriously test Gentoo if you want to compare it to other distros, not binary-based Gentoo distros. Someone might even supply you with a Stage4 install with the compiler flags you want to use, even just a list of your hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                      It would be nice if you had an overall winner by rating each test by a percentage and summing that value.
                      I think that's the point: There's no winner. All the distributions preform the same once you bother installing the proper firmwares and drivers. That's to say, when trying to compare different linux\bsd distributions, you should look at usability, ease of installation and maintenance, package availability, support and so on... Instead of performance.
                      I'm personally using Sabayon since Debian has become quite convoluted lately with all the half functioning user land packages. systemd is being developed too quickly for Debian to keep up so there's just too much breakages and rust collecting. Being familiar with Gentoo from the server, I figured a binary derivative should be fine. And it did.
                      BTW, Gentoo should really standardize a way to deploy binary packages and resolve conflicts and dependencies. At one time, I only used Gentoo on the server so I wasn't really aware of just how viable it really is on the Desktop. But now, with Sabayon, you can really tell there's just so much potential for a mainstream stable (or optionally bleeding edge) distribution. Just thinking about all that extra work being duplicated and all...

Comment

Working...
                      X