Gentoo Starts Work On KDE-Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    That's find and dandy, but what about Nvidia and AMD drivers?. If Canonical gets it's way, we may have NV and AMD telling us that if we want drivers then we need to move to Mir. And that's the whole ballgame. because I see zero point in using something with hacked drivers and no 3D support. Past two days I've been on mailing lists and IRC channels and there isn't a soul that knows anything yet. It's all in wait-and-see mode with a lot of finger pointing.
    What you wrote makes no sense at all. It's gibberish. But it seems to imply that the OSS drivers are dirty hacks with no 3d support, which is obviously wrong. If this post represents your level of understanding, then you really need to do a lot more reading.

Comment

Originally posted by pumrel View Post
      If there is not to be a 3D support for Wayland well then I think there is no point in using it. Moreover if Valve is targeting Ubuntu, then obviously AMD and Nvidia are going to preferentially write drivers for Ubuntu too. In that case I will be forced to ditch KDE in favor of accelerated Unity.
      You seem to have taken a que from incorrect information. The OSS drivers do have 3d support and will work with Wayland. So no need to worry about acceleration. It already is working. It has been for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
        That's find and dandy, but what about Nvidia and AMD drivers?. If Canonical gets it's way, we may have NV and AMD telling us that if we want drivers then we need to move to Mir. And that's the whole ballgame. because I see zero point in using something with hacked drivers and no 3D support. Past two days I've been on mailing lists and IRC channels and there isn't a soul that knows anything yet. It's all in wait-and-see mode with a lot of finger pointing.
        You people are hilarious.

Nvidia and AMD are supposed to stop supporting RedHat and SUSE so they can support Ubuntu exclusively? In other words, stop supporting their main customer base, so they can support the vast Ubuntu gaming community?

Binary blobs are primarily workstation drivers. Running games is an accident. Linux gamers are a very vocal minority, but they are not their market.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          What makes you think the professional market will move to either, instead of staying on X for the next decade?
          Why should they? Gnome will have full Wayland support soon, the same is true for KDE, so the main desktops that are used by the two main enterprise distributions support Wayland. Wayland will is faster and more secure than X, so there remains only one reason not to use Wayland: legacy applications. But since things like XWayland exist this reason is not valid, so it is the only logical step to go to Wayland once the enterprise distributions think it is stable enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Why should they? Gnome will have full Wayland support soon, the same is true for KDE, so the main desktops that are used by the two main enterprise distributions support Wayland. Wayland will is faster and more secure than X, so there remains only one reason not to use Wayland: legacy applications. But since things like XWayland exist this reason is not valid, so it is the only logical step to go to Wayland once the enterprise distributions think it is stable enough.
            However, the professional market only uses legacy applications.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              However, the professional market only uses legacy applications.
              Id be willing to bet RHEL8 will be Wayland based, or at least Wayland-optional... Gnome and KDE should have full Wayland support out in stable releases by then, so Fedora would have it, and the version of Fedora RHEL8 is based off of should have it then too.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                What makes you think the professional market will move to either, instead of staying on X for the next decade?
                Thats what gabe newell said, valve will do.

Comment

Valve doesnt have any choice but to stick with X. If they move to Wayland they screw Canonical. If they move to Mir they screw everyone else. What's unfortunate is that if Mir never existed this wouldnt be an issue at all. There is already too much fragmentation. What Mir adds pushes it past a tipping point. Canonical should be forced to die. (yes, a.k.a murdered.)
                  Last edited by duby229; 19 June 2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Valve doesnt have any choice but to stick with X. If they move to Wayland they screw Canonical. If they move to Mir they screw everyone else. What's unfortunate is that if Mir never existed this wouldnt be an issue at all. There is already too much fragmentation. What Mir adds pushes it past a tipping point. Canonical should be forced to die. (yes, a.k.a murdered.)
                    If Mir works the same way as Wayland... it may not have to be that way. If all Mir apps have to have a toolkit backing them, lets say Qt, and Qt supports both Mir and Wayland, then Valve could write their shit in Qt, and have it work on OS X, iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux (X/Mir/Wayland), and everyone would be golden.

I write that knowing full well someone is going to point out a flaw on it in like 10seconds..
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      If Mir works the same way as Wayland... it may not have to be that way. If all Mir apps have to have a toolkit backing them, lets say Qt, and Qt supports both Mir and Wayland, then Valve could write their shit in Qt, and have it work on OS X, iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux (X/Mir/Wayland), and everyone would be golden.

I write that knowing full well someone is going to point out a flaw on it in like 10seconds..
                      I never understood why Valve insisted on writing steam directly against the X api, rather than using a toolkit. It's going to cause them pain whatever happens with wayland and mir now.

Comment

Working...
                      X