Ubuntu Announces Carrier Advisory Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
    This is unusual? I wish I only got shaped to 386kbps. It's 256kbps here, although it used to be 64kbps so I guess things have "improved."
    It is in most of the EU. DSL is not throttled, if you bought 20M, you're getting at least X % no matter how much you use. The percentage depends on local laws, here it's around 70% (to account for bad lines etc, but still keep reins on speed avertising).

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
      Has there been any statement from Ubuntu about whether their Ubuntu Mobile platform will have a convergence function similar to what was planned for Ubuntu for Android?
      This is something that I really want to see any company put out.
      It will be there eventually, however the first phones will be released without it, I think.

See "High end superphone" http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/operators-and-oems

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        This pinky-stinky big-player recently tried to limit DSL flatrate to several GiB per month and start throttling the lines to 386 kilobit... Except own video services.
        Now, after public protest of 10K crowd they proposed a throttling to 2 Mbit (from usual 16 or 100).
        Originally posted by randomizer View Post
        This is unusual? I wish I only got shaped to 386kbps. It's 256kbps here, although it used to be 64kbps so I guess things have "improved."
        What does this mean? Please explain.

Are people not getting the speeds they pay for? If so, then why would there be public protests because of one crappy ISP?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          It is in most of the EU. DSL is not throttled, if you bought 20M, you're getting at least X % no matter how much you use. The percentage depends on local laws, here it's around 70% (to account for bad lines etc, but still keep reins on speed avertising).
          Ah, fair enough. They got around that for DSL in Australia by simply stopping the advertisement of the speed, only the download cap. You pay for ADSL2+, but not particular speed. If you get 5Mbps because you're 6km from the nearest exchange, well, tough luck. Cable services still advertise their speeds, but they are actually able to deliver most of the time due to the better infrastructure (no rotting 40-year-old copper insulated by plastic bags). They still have caps though. I have a 100Mbps connection, but if I go over 500GB I'm down to 256k.

Speed capping is better than overusage charges though. I remember old plans from a couple of years ago from Telstra that were 250MB for $29.95/month, with $150/GB overusage charges.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
            What does this mean? Please explain.

Are people not getting the speeds they pay for? If so, then why would there be public protests because of one crappy ISP?
            It's volume based:
            For the first x GiB of downloads in the month you get full speed. After that your download speed gets throttled to a very low percentage of the full speed until next month.

The reason for this are basically 2 simple ideas:
            1. Provide a more expensive contract with unlimited full speed (-> customer pays more)
            2. Offer a way for platforms/websites/content provider to pay the ISP to be excluded from the measured download volume (-> content provider pays the ISP)
            Which comes down to the simple idea:
            Get more money out of the same service we offer since years

The reason why there's a protest is because the few ISPs we have had the same plan as the Telekom.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
              It's volume based:
              For the first x GiB of downloads in the month you get full speed. After that your download speed gets throttled to a very low percentage of the full speed until next month.

The reason for this are basically 2 simple ideas:
              1. Provide a more expensive contract with unlimited full speed (-> customer pays more)
              2. Offer a way for platforms/websites/content provider to pay the ISP to be excluded from the measured download volume (-> content provider pays the ISP)
              Which comes down to the simple idea:
              Get more money out of the same service we offer since years

The reason why there's a protest is because the few ISPs we have had the same plan as the Telekom.
              In the US our Cell companies are doing something similar. I pay for 5GB of data per month at 6Mb/s. Once I exceed 5GB it throttles all the way back to 128Kb/s. A little faster than dialup, but not by much. On the other hand even if I exceed my bandwidth limit streaming movies from the netfix player still works just fine, so I assume netflix must have some kind of deal going on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                I'm starving for firefox os and ubuntu touch to dominate markets :P Firefox os programming just involves html/css/javascript while ubuntu touch the all mighty C++ instead of bloated java or nasty objective-c syntax
                Yeah I agree. I'm also an android fan, in that I really enjoy using it since 4.0+ hit but I'm really excited for both Firefox OS/Ubuntu Touch and I hope they can improve on what we have now for phones. I'd love to be running an actual linux distro or well coded web apps.

Comment

Working...
                X