Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matobinder
    replied
    I've been waiting for some time to find out what RHEL 7 was going to do. At my place of work, our applications make extensive use of Motif and Gnome2 stuff.

We were really dreading what Redhat was going to do in the upcoming years. Where they going to go Gnome3 route? Most all our software is custom in house things, GUI's Motif and Gnome2 based. It will be interesting to see how this Gnome3 classic mode looks under RHEL 7. Then, we are still all tied to RHEL 5 yet, just starting to make the RHEL 6 transition plans.

As long as I can still specify a window position/size via the API or command line we will still be happy. I just wish Gnome would have made the feature to specify which workspace to launch an GUI in, that was one think I liked with CDE back in the "olden days"

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    I forgot to mention about the CTRL + ALT + Right-Click on the panels.

Who's idea was that? Right-Click always worked fine. Even Ubuntu maintains this idiocracy.
    There are right-click when selecting an application on the panel. Recently, Gnome Shell 3.8 gained right click on displayed background.
    I verified your claim about Ctrl+Alt+Right-Click in Gnome Shell, there is no such shortcut unless it is custom made.

Using either gnome-tweak-tool or dconf-editor, you can restore the traditional right-click by setting "Have File Manager handling the desktop" through Desktop Tab. That functionality exists since the first 3.0 release of Gnome Shell before Gnome-Tweak-Tool extension was written. That part illustrates the extreme flexibility of Gnome Shell, Classic Mode is just an example.
    Last edited by finalzone; 15 June 2013, 01:56 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    I forgot to mention about the CTRL + ALT + Right-Click on the panels.

Who's idea was that? Right-Click always worked fine. Even Ubuntu maintains this idiocracy.

Anyway,

Thank goodness that individuals in the community still maintain Gnome 2 and KDE 3.5.

Just a little history:>

Arch, Slackware, Suse, Ubuntu, ... All pressed forward to include KDE 4 and later Gnome Shell (not slackware though).
    But ultimately the one's that made statements about how they would not include it eventually did.
    Which brings up the argument of how Linux distributions follow the trends and not the concensious.
    For ever 10 complaints there will be one zealot who is indoctrinated.

Later

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    Unfortunately, Gnome 3 is stuck on Windows 7 paradymes.
    No, not at all. GS is very flexible and a ?Win7 mode? is achievable through extensions (basically what the article is about).
    That flexibility alone means that GS underwent a paradigm shift.

It's similar with KDE?s Plasma: Plasma Desktop is configured by default to look and feel somewhat traditionally but in essence Plasma is a bucket of Legos that can be arranged is very different ways.

No version of Windows has yet been implemented that way. Even in Win8 the two shells (?Metro? and classic desktop) share next to no technology.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    Gnome was a windows clone. Period. The same way GNU was a Unix clone. Just look at this in 2004. It's like a bad joke.

At least now there are blazing their own path with the extreme use of workspaces.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    And hopefully Suse will save us all

.,Two topics,.

First, someone mentioned many of the classic Window Managers are stuck on Windows 95 paradymes. Unfortunately, Gnome 3 is stuck on Windows 7 paradymes.
    But even Windows 7 has a fallback to Classic Windows 95 mode. I would hardly call the Classic mode in Gnome 3 functional. I tend to have to tweak it heavily.

GTK 3 is a deadend, even GTK 2 was starting to become shoddy with features being depricated like the menu tear-offs. (GVim)

-._, These are only MY opinions ,_.-
    -' '-

I think Gnome 3 's next feature should be a Charms bar. Sarcasm intended.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by Kostas View Post
    I'm really curious about the version they're gonna use. Classic is a really recent feature (3.8) and I'd expect RHEL to use something more mature (even if it's just a bunch of extensions). Apart from that I haven't seen any planned improvements on classic for 3.10.
    Those individual extensions that classic is made up have existed long before classic was even announced and continue to get several bugfixes and minor enhancements. Regardless of the version that EL 7 includes, they backport a number of fixes as deemed necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Kostas
    replied
    I'm really curious about the version they're gonna use. Classic is a really recent feature (3.8) and I'd expect RHEL to use something more mature (even if it's just a bunch of extensions). Apart from that I haven't seen any planned improvements on classic for 3.10.

Leave a comment:

• AdamW
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    The problem is that some distributions *cough* Ubuntu *cough* renamed fallback mode to classic mode and when GNOME 3.8 was announced with classic mode, it has confused those users.
    Ahh, I was not aware of that.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    You're getting your terms wrong (and I think a lot of people are confused about this, so getting it wrong only makes that worse).

The thing that existed prior to 3.8 was never called 'classic'. It was called 'fallback mode'. 'Classic Mode' is the new thing in 3.8 that replaces fallback mode. It did not exist prior to 3.8. That is what RHEL 7 is using, *not* 'fallback mode'.
    The problem is that some distributions *cough* Ubuntu *cough* renamed fallback mode to classic mode and when GNOME 3.8 was announced with classic mode, it has confused those users.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X