RHEL 7 Linux To Use GNOME 3 Classic Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    Why not writing a Nautilus extension for the missing/removed features you want? The source code is available to see, analyse and pick the need codes.
    Yes, I could develop everything I want in Gnome3... or simply apt-get a desktop environment that isn't as anemic. I've already choose the second.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      you use it? lol
      RHEL 7 will use GNOME Shell with additional extensions. Therefore your claim that no one wants GS is simply wrong. Red Hat wants it.
      GNOME Shell (without Classic extensions) is also my second best liked DE after Plasma Desktop.
      I never was a fan of GNOME 2.x or clones like Xfce 4.x. They stick to the same old desktop metaphor already used by Windows 95. Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
        AFAIK understand Gnome classic mode it still requires graphics hardware which can do 3d. So not everyone can even run gnome 3.
        And who can't?

Comment

Who uses a GUI on a server?

Above question basically answers the question "how could they??!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            I never was a fan of GNOME 2.x or clones like Xfce 4.x. They stick to the same old desktop metaphor already used by Windows 95. Meh.
            Oh my god, it is so old, how can anyone dare to use it?
            Seriously, because it is a proven way to do things on a computer and is not changed just because some developers meant that they have to try something new because the old stuff is so boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              Then use software based on the win95 UI principles. RHEL6 is not bad you know.
              That was not my point. I use neither Win95 style nor tablet style UIs, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                That was not my point. I use neither Win95 style nor tablet style UIs, thanks.
                That's what is great about Linux/OSS. It is about choice. Don't like the direction of one DE? Use another, or even a WM. Nobody is forcing you, unlike Microsoft or Apple.

Which makes it more funny/stupid that people still bitch about Gnome Shell...

Comment

And who can't?
                  People with PowerVR chips. Which are of course horrible to begin with, but hey, they do exist!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                    So, it was Red Hat devs who led the way on the new interface in Shell in the first place, right? Why is Red Hat paying people to develop something they don't actually want to use? And if they want to use Classic, why did they stick to Shell for so long only to bust out Classic at the last minute--it seems like they'll need to be adding features right up until RHEL's ship date.

I don't have a clue, but I like speculating. Perhaps the Gnome Shell guys were working away on their own, and had a low profile within Red Hat, and they think Shell is great. Then as 7 got closer management realized Shell wasn't what they want, or maybe customers complained, and they sent a pronouncement down that a traditional desktop must be made for RHEL. But of course if RH execs use Fedora then they would have been exposed to Shell ages ago. I'm stumped.
                    You need to understand, and this is something others in a better position than I have said as well, that RH gives its employees a lot of freedom. Especially the people doing community oriented work (like the Gnome folks). It's a price of doing business. That's why it bugs the hell out of me when people talk about RH as some monolithic entity with nefarious intents towards the open source community. You literally couldn't be further from the truth.
                    So what it seems happened was that the Gnome folks stayed in their world and developed what they wanted without wider considerations. This meant that serious user testing wasn't used early on in the process, and, according to the Register's report of Summit, it did enter in when Classic Mode was being developed (at that point I believe more than just the Gnome devs were involved, so I'd imagine they'd have less influence on the end result, but that's just speculation). It really has been to Gnome's detriment that they didn't take advantage of the UX people in Fedora to really help shape Shell from an early period.
                    As for the execs, I'd imagine they're using CSB (corporate standard build, a.k.a. RHEL), or Windows, or Mac (depending on what exactly they're doing).

Comment

RHEL 7 will use GNOME Shell with additional extensions. Therefore your claim that no one wants GS is simply wrong. Red Hat wants it.
                      GNOME Shell (without Classic extensions) is also my second best liked DE after Plasma Desktop.
                      +1

I'm not such a fan of GS anymore, nor have I ever been bitten by the KDE bug(s), but I agree that both at least attempt some amount of movement away from the ancient PARC designs + panels.
                      Neither has been quite right, IMHO, but the attempts are laudable (though I so much wish Gnome had been more experimental and imaginative).

Comment

Working...
                      X