RHEL 7 Linux To Use GNOME 3 Classic Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    They should have thrown their weight behind Mate and told Gnome to take their shitty UI and devs that don't listen out to the bridge and throw it in the river like a sack of unwanted kittens.

Harsh yes, but this is what Gnome deserves.
    That's funny, since IIRC the most vocal supporters and the originators of gnome shell are all on the payroll of Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      you use it? lol
      I use it, and like it.

Classic mode is there for people who want it to look like it used to. But it is easy enough to switch modes depending on personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
        I use it, and like it.

Classic mode is there for people who want it to look like it used to. But it is easy enough to switch modes depending on personal preference.
        AFAIK understand Gnome classic mode it still requires graphics hardware which can do 3d. So not everyone can even run gnome 3. The very first thing I did after I upgraded my laptop from squeeze to wheezy was to remove gnome3 and install xfce.

Comment

Hopefully they'll change the default GTK theme to something that isn't made for elephant touchscreens(only reason I can think, for that amount of padding).
          Oh, and restore Nautilus features that were slashed for no good reason... and stop removing everything that isn't in the gnome devs workflow/requirements, and make libgtk3 a stable lib from now on.

And then maybe Gnome3 will be at the same level it was a decade ago.
          I wonder why RedHat is funding Gnome3

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
            I don't know how it is called in english, but there's a phenomenon called (french translation) resistance to change. Common people (even those who use computers every day, at home and/or at work) don't want to re-learn things as basic as user-interface (not talking about the ERP, a mess I could see in my previous job, people were all lost, even those theorically more skilled than me). After migrating my laptop to Wheezy, I am myself struggling with tuning KDE interface to get some personal windows-era behaviour back, even if I'm used to manipulate different UIs every day.
            I think you're talking about baby duck syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
              AFAIK understand Gnome classic mode it still requires graphics hardware which can do 3d. So not everyone can even run gnome 3. The very first thing I did after I upgraded my laptop from squeeze to wheezy was to remove gnome3 and install xfce.
              Red Hat is not really one to look after legacy desktop hardware, it not their market.

Comment

I'll try it out eventually. But I will also try the KDE desktop first. I'm a KDE user but I always found RHEL version with a lot to be desired compared to (let me do that) fedora. With rhel 6 it is better then before, but it has a very ancient KDE version, and it was still not very mature at the time. rhel 7 will ship with 4.8 at least. If they can do a decent packaging I'm going for KDE from now on even on EL!

I really hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  I think you're talking about baby duck syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_d..._duck_syndrome
                  It's pretty much what I'm talking about, but not necesarily about the "first" system, only the last they have been used too (it's very much the case with ERPs, where lifetime can be more than 5 years). Except that for me, it's just plain conscious laziness and personal taste (my concern are almost concentrated on general gui concerns -- panel with app launcher on the left instead of top/bottom, and Oxygen replaced by something slick, and I find that transparent windows borders and task bar in windows Seven are elegant, therefore I want to get it back).

Change day-to-day apps is pretty easy for me (except Firefox ), but it can be very difficult to less "skilled" people. Change the default interface can too easily leave these people with their inability to discover it again. And it costs time, therefore money.

So, left aside the status of the GTK3 Framework and the stubbornness of the developers behind it, the move from RedHat is, if not necesarily the best, the most logical choice from the corporate end-user point of view. That is the primary target of RHEL, as we know a good sysadmin do not need any gui at all

Comment

I wonder what release of of GNOME 3.x that RHEL7 will use. I'm presuming at least GNOME 3.10. GNOME Classic just got introduced in 3.8 so surely they will give it one more release to bake.

On that note, there was a really good blog series "One Week With GNOME 3 Classic". He filed at least a dozen good observations (bugs) to polish it.

Dynamic thinking Yesterday (Day Six) was a very busy day at my day-job filled mostly with meetings, so I didn’t get a great deal of time to play with additional features of GNOME Classic. I d…

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
                      Oh, and restore Nautilus features that were slashed for no good reason... and stop removing everything that isn't in the gnome devs workflow/requirements, and make libgtk3 a stable lib from now on.
                      Why not writing a Nautilus extension for the missing/removed features you want? The source code is available to see, analyse and pick the need codes.

Comment

Working...
                      X