SphinUX OS Claims To Be ~150% Faster Than GNU/Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've found so far:

Eng. Ahmed G. Elnil SphinUX Community Founder, Head Of Kernel Development team, an ex. project administrator at Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      If it really is that much faster then I think the only honorable thing would be for the whole linux kernel team to commit seppuku. They spewed so much bullshit about their godlike programming skills and the linux speed that there will be no way out for them....
      I literally lol'd.

Comment

[...]333MHz CPU, 256MB of system memory,[...]

the advertised RAM minimum of Puppy and AntiX is also 256 MB RAM I think. And the required minimum not higher than 128 MB.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          I literally lol'd.
          Same here, I only knew the ritual under a different name - harakiri . Good to know there's synonyms for the most grotesque form of ritualistic suicide.

Comment

At least one of the claims has been factually proven to be incorrect as it would be impossible for a os to use 300% or in other words creates twice the ram linux uses out of thin air while the thing itself doesn't use any memory.

Comment

Benchmarks or it doesn't happen. Can't wait to see the results!

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
                At least one of the claims has been factually proven to be incorrect as it would be impossible for a os to use 300% or in other words creates twice the ram linux uses out of thin air while the thing itself doesn't use any memory.
                I don't understand how these claims are confusing people... 300% better ram usage doesn't mean they're saying your system suddenly has 3x more ram in general... it means they're saying their kernel uses 3x less ram than linux.. 100% faster means twice as fast, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                  I don't understand how these claims are confusing people... 300% better ram usage doesn't mean they're saying your system suddenly has 3x more ram in general... it means they're saying their kernel uses 3x less ram than linux.. 100% faster means twice as fast, etc..
                  That type of claim might make sense if the Linux kernel were producing something - but it's not. The Linux kernel, or any other OS kernel, is overhead, plain and simple. It's something that enables applications to do the real work, but it produces nothing itself. The ultimate kernel would use no time, no memory.

Since the kernel actually does nothing useful itself, the best metric you can say is that it gets out of the way and lets the application do its work. In that case, the best the kernel could possibly do is get 100% faster, because that would mean that the time/memory/etc that the kernel adds to execution has gone to zero. But 100% is the impossible ideal. (Unless you have some sort of out-of-band cpu and memory, allowing the user-state cpu/memory to be 100% focused, but then that's a different type of overhead completely.)

If the kernel actually produced something useful, then maybe it could actually get 100% or even 300% faster - but it doesn't, and that's not its job.

Comment

I find these RAM-Nazis to be quite amusing everytime. How often do you hear stuff like "*mimimimi* Browser A uses 100 MB more than browser B!!!!!" Wow seriously who gives a shit about RAM usage. Might aswell just let the program write everything to disk and use 0% RAM if that somehow is considered to be cool and efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
                      300% less normally means 1/4

Comment

Working...
                      X