SphinUX OS Claims To Be ~150% Faster Than GNU/Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SphinUXOS
    a guy named RMS 17 years ago, I believed in him, I supported him, and I will always support his idea
    Originally posted by SphinUXOS View Post
    We've decided to remove our gem from SourceForge as they were moaning about the licence; something that we couldn't care less about..
    You guys are full of shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      You guys are full of shit.
      I have but one criticism. Shit, like the oxygen that aids its decomposition, is too useful to be wasted in that manner.

But yes, ditching the Linux kernel (whose license they couldn't care less about) for their operating system that is the "evolution of the Linux kernel" is a ridiculous thing to say. What would they use for their fake flow charts then?

What pathetic, and childish lies. If there was even an inkling of doubt about this project's lack of credibility, their own comments should eliminate it.

Comment

• DOS functionality was easly extended TSR(Terminate Stay Resident programs) there was extended memory managers EMM386(paged memory access),Networking(TCP/IP) netlink,ralink,netware etc.. , disk access cache (smartdrv), video card drivers/VESA2-3 emulation (ermm forget names)(mostly adding software layers over interrupts)+standalone software layer apps(dos4gw 386+ 32bit Extended Mode!!).. it was very pleasant coding times, and runtime library loading was possible but in code(viruses used this alot first loading itself and then actual program code)
        Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
        Am I sure? Yes. DOS is setting hardware interruptions for: disk, keyboard, CRT video screen ("text console").

So even basic services like: "allocating extended 32 bit mode" has to be offered by your's application code. As DOS doesn't offer libSO loading (or .DLL from Windows world), the whole functionality you're missing you have to write (include as a static library inside your final .exe by your own). There are some logical operations that were implemented standard later in DOS versions, like: SmartDrv will offer RAM caching of your disk access, and interrupt 33 is offered for "mouse pointer movement notifications", but yeah, you don't have anything.

I will put a small correction/note about this, when I said: "there is no video acceleration", theoretically it would be possible to have it, and the first 3Dfx Voodoo cards offered 3D drivers for DOS (for their Glide API, no OpenGL), but again the application will link this code statically as a part of the application's code.

The web browser which I know from DOS, is Arachne, and in Wikipedia's page is written (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachne_%28web_browser%29 ) :
        Last edited by SunnyDrake; 02 July 2013, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SphinUXOS View Post
          We've decided to remove our gem from SourceForge as they were moaning about the licence; something that we couldn't care less about.. We'll be ditching the linux kernel in the next release and maybe then we would consider uploading the project back to SourceForge
          Yeah, sure. For someone who sees RMS as some kind of role Model that sounds kida strange. I really would love to see with what you want to replace the linux Kernel. Maybe you will try to rebrand it some more. Or, as a RMS Fan, you use gnu hurd.
          Sourceforge has every right to mourn your Licence. You talk GPL and do the opposite.

and by the way: your OS wasnt a gem. more like a pile of awesome debian turned to something, well, shitty (which is hard because IMHO debian is an awesome base)

Comment

• Originally posted by SphinUXOS View Post
            We've decided to remove our gem from SourceForge as they were moaning about the licence; something that we couldn't care less about.. We'll be ditching the linux kernel in the next release and maybe then we would consider uploading the project back to SourceForge
            The kernel isn't the issue (or at least not the only issue). You distribute an ISO of binary files, many of which are under the GPL. You need to provide source for every single one of them.

You are still distributing this ISO in violation of the GPL. I wonder what your idol RMS would say about that.
            Last edited by Scimmia; 02 July 2013, 01:58 AM.

Comment

• Unmodified sources are basically boring, noone looks at those - interesting are only the CHANGES. Maybe he switches from Linux to BSD then he would not need to provide the sources. But currently most apps/games are for Linux - also binary drivers are not available for BSD yet for AMD (maybe this changes with PS4, no idea). So if somebody creates an incompatible variant then the user base will be very small. Some systems may be fully optimized - BeOS was interesting when it was out as well and had similar performance improvements over other os - but was not really successfull - currently only os with a similar look exist. Marketing speech with extreme performance improvements that only a few ppl can really use will not lead to a system that lives long enough to remember the name.

Comment

• I am not breaking news here, but on that self made benchmark list, please change "Cost" to something like "Value". To say something is equall to GNU-Linux and is greater in Cost is in error. Changing the Cost value to Value would mean that you gain more value and make sence.

** I downloaded the ISO. Has anyone actually installed this? Running on this? Can someone do a phoronix benchmark and provide the lable so a bunch of us can run the benchmark test and compare?

Comment

• Originally posted by canezila View Post
                  I am not breaking news here, but on that self made benchmark list, please change "Cost" to something like "Value". To say something is equall to GNU-Linux and is greater in Cost is in error. Changing the Cost value to Value would mean that you gain more value and make sence.

** I downloaded the ISO. Has anyone actually installed this? Running on this? Can someone do a phoronix benchmark and provide the lable so a bunch of us can run the benchmark test and compare?
                  It's a scam, read the thread.

Comment

• I know this might sound ridiculous, yet, I'll say it anyway ...

Well, as a "First try, first miss", we consider CheopX pretty much the thing that made us understand how faulty this project has been !!!

First I'll be introducing myself, since I don't like to hold the position of "The shady guy from Egypt"
                    I am just another *nix user, I don't care about licenses, all I care about is hacking stuff, that's it, I don't like the idea of "lots of users, no contribution"
                    the real name is "Ahmad Gaber", age 23, male obviously -or not-, and I am just the core dev for this project.
                    this project started as an "Egyptian Linux distribution" then we got crazy about adding flashy stuff, and we learned it -the hard way- that this is a BAD IDEA !!!

performance claims?! miss-translated, miss-understood, and definitely illogical -as it sounds-, yet, as the mentality of the Egyptian people -which is pretty much weird- isn't clear, it's always the more flashy and heavily modded the thing is -like a NY cab, but with the cab driver sayin' that he has PhD- the more it's considered valuable, it's silly yet what makes things worse, is when you say that your thing is 150% faster, it means that it's gooood, real gooooooood, it can do 150% stuff more on the same machine, silly, yet it's the "common guy's language".

miss-understood, stubborn and disappointed by the "FOSS reaction", we didn't have enough courage to admit mistakes "we never added malicious code, that's against our beliefs as Muslims"

but I'll admit them now, since I realize that only a man can admit his own mistakes:
                    1- We distributed binaries without the distribution of the sourcecode, only modified sources were released as we got used to the BSD way and didn't realize that it's not same for the GPL

2- We chose a hell of a PR manager, he's terrible, his advises got us to this situation

3- We targeted Egyptian "MS-Windows" users and forgot about the rest of the world

4- We lacked reliable source of documentation, and most of the docs released were made by fanatics from the community, and stuff like benchmarks were from a user's point of view, not technical at all

5- We tried to defend our situation by making things worse "being stubborn as the PR manager advised us"

6- We included every goddamned useful "or not" software to the distribution, that's good if you live in Egypt, and have trouble connecting to your 512kbps DSL line, that was the target audience after all

7- Terrible workmanship, that's it, I wont say a word more, it's horrible, I hate myself for this, it's embarrassing, so don't push me, I apologize for that

8- As self-centered as it might seem, we exaggerated our self-esteem, come on, it's the first time to see a true "FOSS movement in Egypt", that was a victory by itself, yet, it was a great mistake, as we still had a long shot before doing something useful to the FOSS community world-wide

9- The lack of documentation, got CheopX "which is a distribution" mixed up with the SphinUX OS, actually, SphinUX OS is a Standard Base Filesystem "StdBaseFS", an extended GNU/Linux base with core libraries, it's just a more standardized userspace with a modded Linux kernel.

"The list is open, please feel free to add more mistakes and we'll admit it if it's true"

As days went by, we attracted criticism, gained experience and felt the need for the "Real thing", and by that I mean, a clean fresh standardized start, so as an apology to the entire FOSS community, we have decided the following:

1- We'll not provide official builds of distributed Base Filesystems, only the stock StdBaseFS, anything else is not official and it's not related to SphinUX OS itself, that would be a ~200 MB bootable iso, with lots of fun for the hacker

2- Unfortunately, the speed by which Free software is growing, we wont be able to provide every single sourcecode for stock Debian packages in the repository "short on man power, unless someone feels like contributing as a maintainer, that would be awesome", yet, we'll provide sourcecode for every single StdBaseFS package "whether it's been modified or not", guess we're only distributing the StdBaseFS, therefore, it's okay "for now" to publish sourcecode for the distributed packages

3- We'd make the StdBaseFS "redistributable", by setting standards for the distribution process, providing libraries for the distribution process that might make things easy for a "bash scripter", also, we'd make it even easier by providing an easy-to-use utility " GUI only for now" that might help a novice user to build his own custom distribution in a pretty much clean way

4- We would not go behind the beta barrier unless we have solid documentation of our libraries and standards, that's a commitment

5- We already got rid of that PR guy -_- he's not related to PR in anyway, the community has no official spokesman for the moment, so feel free for any suggestions

6- We'll refrain from publishing any non-official documents, actually, we are not going to publish anything beside documentation for our libraries and standards, anything else is not ours, no crazy benchmarks from fanatics, and it's up to you to say whether it's a good software or not

7- We would listen, believe me, we are listening, so if you think anything should be done, it's up to you to talk

8- We would accept contributions from non-Arabic speaking users, anyone now can be part of this project, we'd use an English-only policy, just to help everyone get aboard

9- The next release of the StdBaseFS (1.1), will hold major upgrades, and to make things worse for those who might think changing the uts_namespace() values, we provided an interface and a daemon for changing it from the userspace "making /proc/sys/kernel writable by the userspace through the utscd (unix time support compatibility daemon), so, it's no longer named Linux through uname() , it's anything you wish, and of course we say it's Linux kernel, it's a cool feature to type uname and see the output saying "Joe_OS"
                    other features might sound related to the redistribution process, we wouldn't make a list before the docs are ready

10 - We've added ssl support to our servers, as a step towards a project portal, you'll like it once it's ready

11- We'd not start sentences with "we" anymore, it's ridiculous and self-centered

That's it for now, again, we apologize, and we would love to hear anything from you, things have changed, I promise

Thanks for your time, and sorry for my bad English

Comment

• Hi Ahmad.
                      I think I am in an even worse situation than yours. I am Italian, living in Italy. Full stop. :-)
                      Nonetheless, I live in that crazy world where PI equals to 3.1415926535..., "while( TRUE );" is an endless loop and "Y is 150% more than X" means "Y = X*2.5".
                      In the very same world I can claim whatever I want and am prepared to receive anything in between critics and death sentences, especially when my claims have some chance not to be fully true.
                      Then I can either give up or fight back the challenges with my ideas and facts.
                      I for one appreciate your apologies and can also understand your points.

But, please, keep in mind these 10 things:

0. Words matter, numbers matter even more.
                      1. You need to (be prepared to) proof your claims in a number of different ways.

Otherwise you'll be bringing "yet another eCAT" (hence my 1st line joke).
                      In my opinion, finally, those 10 points are valid also in real life.

Good luck with your projects!

Comment

Working...
                      X