Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 3 Released, Still Using Legacy GRUB

Phoronix: Mageia 3 Released, Still Using Legacy GRUB

At long last the third major version of Mageia, the popular community fork of Mandriva Linux, is now available. There's a lot of new stuff to Mageia 3 like a new version of RPM and updated systemd, but the distribution is still not shipping GRUB2 by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly?

GRUB is still being used as the default boot-loader while GRUB2 is only available for testing, sadly while many other Linux distributions have been already depending upon GRUB2 for years.
    Sadly? Grub2 in my eyes is the second worst thing, right after Gnome3, that happend to desktop Linux in recent years.
    Why do things the simple way if you can make it really hard and complex...

Comment

mouting iso's in a loop? uefi support? a richer feature set?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        mouting iso's in a loop? uefi support? a richer feature set?
        Mounting ISOs in a loop are a special case that almost no one ever uses. UEFI support? Just use Elilo or gummiboot. And which of the features that other bootloaders do not have are people actually using? And is it worth the downsides, like having to write scripts for a bootloader?

Comment

I'd say the best thing that GRUB2 offers is lower maintenance burden. The legacy GRUB has to patched like nothing else to function adequately.
          They could ship LILO, though. Or SYSLINUX. But I suppose going to GRUB2 is the logical step, just that they need to make sure it's stable enough before doing the upgrade. No need to rush, after all.

Comment

Good for them, I dislike Grub 2. In distros that use that I usually still have to edit the grub.cfg file manually, despite dire admonishments, because the scripts tend to do silly things like add any partition with a Windows filesystem and automatically create pointless stanzas for "failsafe" boot modes for each kernel image it finds etc. Most of the times that I have to reconfigure my boot loader, all that would need changing is a few characters in filenames. For me personally, Grub 2 is a whole pile of unnecessary complexity.

The original grub had some strange syntax, but once you understood it, it wasn't hard to use. Redhat based distros had scripts like "grubby" that automatically took care of the distro stanzas when you install kernel RPMs. They didn't touch your custom stanzas either, if you build your own kernels your way.

I still use LILO myself. It's simple, filesystem agnostic and has no choice but to work when properly used. Its main drawback is its strength... the direct mappings that have to be (re)established when you add or change a kernel image. That can be an inconvenience, but even in the worst case where the system won't boot, or there are no other kernels to boot to get in and run the lilo command, it's easy enough to boot with a CD and specify root= or even just boot with other media and chroot to run lilo.

Comment

Finally one that make sense..

Grub 0.97 just work, easy to use, easy to change parameters of a collection of kernels using different parameters..
              Grub 1.9x is just a stack of complication compared to grub 0.97.

Comment

I installed with grub2... asks in setup. and works perfectly.. very stable... very fast...

Comment

Originally posted by thedeli View Post
                  I installed with grub2... asks in setup. and works perfectly.. very stable... very fast...
                  And now go compile a new kernel, add some kernel boot parameters and if posible remove the initrd

Comment

Originally posted by thedeli View Post
                    And now compile a new kernel and add some boot parameters to it (that resist to updates)

Comment

Working...
                    X