Ubuntu 13.10 Likely Switching To Chromium Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
    Please someone - tell me that my suspicions of Google's "do no harm" publicity -- are wrong.
    Sorry, they're not wrong. Google is no saint.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
      Please someone - tell me that my suspicions of Google's "do no harm" publicity -- are wrong.
      I would trust Richard Stallman adhering to a NDA with MS Windows source code before I would trust google's "do no harm" publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by uh20 View Post
        i genuinely think chromium would be better than firefox at the moment, its just a much more feature-packed browser

there's some people spewing very technical reasons why chrome would not work. from a users perspective, i don't notice or care about those things; chromium still looks a lot better.

if you want to be a prick then you can say chromium is using different kits and it does not have as much visible support as firefox, however its honestly not going to mess anything up or even have visible compatibility problems for at least the next 3 years.
        Saying feature packed is just the same thing as saying bloated. Most "features" are in fact bloat. Honestly I would greatly respect any browser maker that said they don't implement "features". There is an important difference between functionality and features. I want a functionally complete browser of course. But I could happily do without most features.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I would trust Richard Stallman adhering to a NDA with MS Windows source code before I would trust google's "do no harm" publicity.
          Ha! Good one...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Sorry, they're not wrong. Google is no saint.
            I actually feel like Google does a pretty good job for being a multinational billion dollar company.

But you have to remember, they're still a multinational billion dollar company. That means you have to grade on a curve. (Or don't)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I actually feel like Google does a pretty good job for being a multinational billion dollar company.

But you have to remember, they're still a multinational billion dollar company. That means you have to grade on a curve. (Or don't)
              Well sure, they're a better choice than Microsoft (for example). But just because you can say "this hot dog tastes better than a dog turd" doesn't make it a gourmet dinner...

Comment

I don't get why they would switch. Looks to me like another Rhythmbox to Banshee to Rhythmbox. Firefox uses less memory and is more full featured. Chrome still feels like a beta browser to me. It is nice if you only want to surf the web. But when you really embrace the web and use extensions and hundreds of tabs Chrome is a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                  I don't get why they would switch.
                  It was already explained on the very first page of this thread:

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    It was already explained on the very first page of this thread:
                    That makes absolutely no sense, because chromium is moving away from webkit to their own rendering engine (blink). Unless they are going to be switching their ubuntu touch browser to blink this decision is all kinds of pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      That makes absolutely no sense, because chromium is moving away from webkit to their own rendering engine (blink). Unless they are going to be switching their ubuntu touch browser to blink this decision is all kinds of pointless.
                      You should read more than just the headline?

Comment

Working...
                      X