Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Considers Replacing LXDE With E17

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Considers Replacing LXDE With E17

In an effort to make Enlightenment E17 available through the openSUSE installer and DVD, the lightweight LXDE desktop environment may be pushed away...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

fix the YaST installer
    This should be a priority over the other solutions because it is about a bug, limitation.

Comment

Agreed, they should bundle only one DE and install it by default as "the suse experience", and offer the others as downloadable during install if the user so decides.

That said, i think Enlightenment is a technological masterpiece that could benefit immensely if suse team made a really nice theme for it. The default theme looks like it was made by an engineer, not an artist
      Last edited by varikonniemi; 16 May 2013, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        Agreed, they should bundle only one DE and install it by default as "the suse experience", and offer the others as downloadable during install if the user so decides.
        There is absolutely zero chance that is going to happen. As far as anyone has been able to determine a majority of openSUSE users use KDE, but not by a huge margin, and there are key developers using both.

You should have seen the ruckus that was caused just by setting KDE as checked by default. Developers and users running Gnome were absolutely furious. One maintainer was so angry he declare that he would not deal with any bugs for his component coming from KDE users.

Comment

Last time I installed opensuse I'm pretty sure they had a proper graphical easy to use netinstall where you could chose what you liked from the repos. Is that gone? I thought the dvd was the netinstall but with the dvd as local repo?

Comment

That said, i think Enlightenment is a technological masterpiece that could benefit immensely if suse team made a really nice theme for it. The default theme looks like it was made by an engineer, not an artist
            The black/blue one is quite elegant. The old black/white was hurting my retina. And yes E can benefit massively if a big distro selects it as its main DE.

Comment

I read the messages on the mailing list.
              No one... NO ONE even mentions Xfce.

It's basically LXDE done right, with more features, with the same footprint.
              I used both on limited-resource machines (P4 and Atom), they perform the exact same.
              Heck, even a simple Fluxbox / IceWM runs the same.

This lightweight "buzzword" is also silly. The KDE guy obviously never used an older machine.
              Try using KDE4.10 on an Atom and he will know what pain it is. "Buzzword" my ass.

Edit: Nowadays LXDE is just a playground for PCMan. Which is not bad or anything, but people (especially devs) should stop promoting it as a main time desktop environment. It started out to be a new contender, but never managed to catch up. It's been all idle for years. Heck, some of the parts were idle since the start of the project. (Check Sourceforge.)
              Last edited by Ruse; 16 May 2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                I read the messages on the mailing list.
                No one... NO ONE even mentions Xfce.
                Yes they did, many times.

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                It's basically LXDE done right, with more features, with the same footprint.
                If you had read the mailing list discussion, you would know that if anyone can actually establish that then openSUSE is likely to switch. So far no one has.

Comment

I disagree, I like opensuse's stance of being as desktop agnostic as possible. People often say opensuse is a "KDE" distro, which I disagree with. Its true they do have one of the best KDE desktops out there, I find their gnome desktop has always been excellent as well.

And this is talking about the DVD, the whole point of the DVD is that there is multiple desktops available on the DVD, so you can install your preferred desktop straight from the DVD without having to download it. They already offer live cd's for kde and gnome so I don't see the point of "only including one desktop by default"...
                  Last edited by bwat47; 16 May 2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Maybe it's me, but I can use and work with base LXDE apps. I can't say the same thing about e17. Maybe XFCE would suffice in this case?

Comment

Working...
                    X