OpenSUSE Considers Replacing LXDE With E17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    This should be a priority over the other solutions because it is about a bug, limitation.
    It is not a bug, it is merely a limitation that can actually be worked around (select minimal install, add repo for E17, select E17 pattern in YaST). I've been doing the same thing to install Razor-QT desktop on some systems without installing any of the desktop options presented in the installer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      There is absolutely zero chance that is going to happen. As far as anyone has been able to determine a majority of openSUSE users use KDE, but not by a huge margin, and there are key developers using both.
      openSUSE surveys of the past has pointed to roughly 70% use KDE, 20% Gnome 10% other. I would consider that a pretty large margin.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        openSUSE surveys of the past has pointed to roughly 70% use KDE, 20% Gnome 10% other. I would consider that a pretty large margin.
        Yeah, the truth is just that a fair number of devs/maintainers run Gnome. Novell was trying to turn it into a Gnome-centric distribution for a while, and some of those same guys that came in then are still important members of the community. The userbase has always been strongly in KDE's favor.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
          Maybe it's me, but I can use and work with base LXDE apps. I can't say the same thing about e17.
          I got the same impression - Enlightenment is really a nice window/desktop shell, but it's far from being a fully usable desktop environment.

I also think OpenSUSE shouldn't drop LXDE from the dvd installer - it's really needed as a very-very light desktop - XFCE is significantly larger than it.

Comment

I hope they do it. E17 is such an awesome desktop. All it really needs in my opinion is a better network manager. The connman module never worked for me so I always have to use the gnome network manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
              This lightweight "buzzword" is also silly. The KDE guy obviously never used an older machine.
              Try using KDE4.10 on an Atom and he will know what pain it is. "Buzzword" my ass.
              I use windowsXP in my netbook. It run smoothly. Opensuse 12.3 with KDE? hehe.. Click 1x, wait ~3s, the program pop up.

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
              I got the same impression - Enlightenment is really a nice window/desktop shell, but it's far from being a fully usable desktop environment.
              Yep! Agree. For now, at least for me, It's just good for running on VM. Overheating when using on laptop (Arch). KDE and Gnome run smoothly.

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
              I hope they do it. E17 is such an awesome desktop. All it really needs in my opinion is a better network manager. The connman module never worked for me so I always have to use the gnome network manager.
              Beside network manager, also power management and multi monitor support.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                i'm wondering how it never worked? every machine i have has it working. wifi, wired, hell if u plug in my phone for tethering it "just works" via usb.. if u pair my phone via bluetooth and select it.. for tether.. it "just works". select a wifi access point - if needed pop in password in dialog.. and it works... only times it has trouble is on some public wifi ap's and that is pretty much up to connman/dhcp/kernel/drivers as e just provides you with the high level interface bits...

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                  I use windowsXP in my netbook. It run smoothly. Opensuse 12.3 with KDE? hehe.. Click 1x, wait ~3s, the program pop up.

Yep! Agree. For now, at least for me, It's just good for running on VM. Overheating when using on laptop (Arch). KDE and Gnome run smoothly.

Beside network manager, also power management and multi monitor support.
                  i run arch+e on my s9 laptop. zero heat problems. cpufreq of course is set to ondemand. intel gfx. i7 cpu. screen dims nicely on idle and fades out totally on blank... ? as for network - same as above. connman working just fine. bluetooth tethering, usb tethering, wired and wifi. multi-monitor support is there (screen setup dialog) and it works.. but it has niggles depending on your version of xrog, randr drivers etc. etc. but its there. if you use the cmdline xrandr too it properly adapts to multi screen setups just fine

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post
                    i'm wondering how it never worked? every machine i have has it working. wifi, wired, hell if u plug in my phone for tethering it "just works" via usb.. if u pair my phone via bluetooth and select it.. for tether.. it "just works". select a wifi access point - if needed pop in password in dialog.. and it works... only times it has trouble is on some public wifi ap's and that is pretty much up to connman/dhcp/kernel/drivers as e just provides you with the high level interface bits...
                    Actually I think it kind of worked for me. But when I right clicked on the icon and went to settings it said something like external application EConnMan doesn't exist. And sometimes I also want to try other desktops so it is sad that I have to uninstall network manager if I want to use connman.

Here are two other little things that bother me:
                    1.) I once set the profile to mobile just to try it out and then I couldn't change it back. In the end I had to reinstall enlightenment.
                    2.) I think the screen setup dialog is really counter-intuitive as I still couldn't figure out how it works. I know that the top right corner can be used to rotate, but I couldn't find an easy way to reset the rotation to 0. Then there is a green light in the bottom left which can be toggled. I'm guessing that it can be used to turn off a screen, but I haven't tried it since I only have my one notebook screen and it would suck if I turned it off. And the biggest problem is that I have no idea how to change the resolution. I can set it to 640x480 by dragging the bottom right corner, but then I can't increase it again.

Aside from that enlightenment is great. I have been using it for maybe 5 years and I can't use other desktops because they feel soooo slow.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post
                      i run arch+e on my s9 laptop. zero heat problems. cpufreq of course is set to ondemand. intel gfx. i7 cpu. screen dims nicely on idle and fades out totally on blank... ? as for network - same as above. connman working just fine. bluetooth tethering, usb tethering, wired and wifi. multi-monitor support is there (screen setup dialog) and it works.. but it has niggles depending on your version of xrog, randr drivers etc. etc. but its there. if you use the cmdline xrandr too it properly adapts to multi screen setups just fine
                      Glad to hear it working for you, rasterman. If you have time, could you write some tutorial setting E17 on arch? or add more info on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Enlightenment? Mine is Asus A43E, core i3 + intel hd3000. cpufreq standard from arch. Xorg and randr always updated to latest version. When running for ~30minutes, CPU temperature goes to around 54celc. when using Gnome3 or KDE, it usually around 43celc. For multiscreen, please add it to the E17 control panel or widget . Thanks.

I'm all for usable lightweight environment like Enlightenment. Been following it like, 8 years or more

Comment

Working...
                      X