Ubuntu Set To Terminate Its Brainstorm Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    You're saying it suits you, which is fine. It doesn't suit me.
    I need to have easily switchable gcc versions installed in parallel. PITA in ubuntu, a breeze in Gentoo.
    I want to quickly switch between proprietary and OSS drivers, PITA (last I checked) in ubuntu, a breeze in Gentoo.
    I want to experiment using systemd. No way in hell that's happening under ubuntu without breaking the entire system.

All I'm saying is specific distros are for specific needs (not saying all distros out there are needed). Ubuntu isn't bad for the BFU, but it sucks for me.
    Why am I worried about the direction Canonical is taking ubuntu? Because even though I don't use it, their decisions will affect me. That's how big an impact they have. The same can be said about Red Hat, Novell and some others, but those have already passed the test of 'playing nice', which Canonical has failed.

Personal experience : I am a Gentoo/Chakra user. It has happened more than once that when I pulled out my laptop people were amazed at my setup (granted, highly customized and none of them were BFUs). some of those people tried a different distro and have never looked back.
    The point here is (as has been mentioned several times in the thread) that ubuntu is percieved as THE linux distro, and that's dangerous for all of us FOSS enthusiasts.
    Just look at steam for linux. Using ubuntu specific APIs. That's how it begins.
    This is not about your own personal tastes , you can make your own distro if you want. This is about how ubuntu stands right now, and right now is the best distro

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
      @r_a_trip

Ubuntu-touch will be possible thanks to being able to use its drivers, support and layers. Its open for any project to use.

Like I said before (and probably a million times over the years), If you want Linux/FOSS to balance out the power in the world. It needs to come PREINSTALLED in new hardware.

Even Linus has said it.

And sorry but you can NOT win them all. Even HTML5 had to add DRM support. But hey is much better than having to deal with things like Flash or silverlight.
      1) Doable with wayland too => Non ubuntu specific. The fact that they are touting it as a ubuntu-specific feature is IMO an insult to all the hard work done by the X/Wayland team.
      2) Agreed
      3) Take a look at how DRM in HTML5 is implemented. It's IMO going to be far worse than flash/silverlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
        It's a conspiracy . The Illuminati are behind Canonical
        No they are not. If they were, there would be much more butterflies and triangles in Ubuntu...

Comment

You're saying it suits you, which is fine. It doesn't suit me.
          I need to have easily switchable gcc versions installed in parallel. PITA in ubuntu, a breeze in Gentoo.
          I want to quickly switch between proprietary and OSS drivers, PITA (last I checked) in ubuntu, a breeze in Gentoo.
          I want to experiment using systemd. No way in hell that's happening under ubuntu without breaking the entire system.

All I'm saying is specific distros are for specific needs (not saying all distros out there are needed). Ubuntu isn't bad for the BFU, but it sucks for me.
          Why am I worried about the direction Canonical is taking ubuntu? Because even though I don't use it, their decisions will affect me. That's how big an impact they have. The same can be said about Red Hat, Novell and some others, but those have already passed the test of 'playing nice', which Canonical has failed.

Personal experience : I am a Gentoo/Chakra user. It has happened more than once that when I pulled out my laptop people were amazed at my setup (granted, highly customized and none of them were BFUs). some of those people tried a different distro and have never looked back.
          The point here is (as has been mentioned several times in the thread) that ubuntu is percieved as THE linux distro, and that's dangerous for all of us FOSS enthusiasts.
          Just look at steam for linux. Using ubuntu specific APIs. That's how it begins.
          Hear, hear. But that is counter to finally having one OS, any OS other than MS in the mainstream, consequences be damned. No one thinks further than two, three years. Or past their own cushy setup they have right now.

Comment

1) Doable with wayland too => Non ubuntu specific. The fact that they are touting it as a ubuntu-specific feature is IMO an insult to all the hard work done by the X/Wayland team.
            2) Agreed
            3) Take a look at how DRM in HTML5 is implemented. It's IMO going to be far worse than flash/silverlight.
            1) Android uses surfacefling, and ubuntu-touch is currently using it, others will be able to use Mir in similar way.

yes sometimes is a bit sad but is not too different from what systemd pulled and many projects over the years have done. Out of the blue they decide to start something else, fork , etc. (hey we even have Libreoffice and openoffice as separate projects...... ;/), so everyone only wants to blame canonical, but Gnome is a mess too and they even want to create yet another OS and are not cooperating with listaller for their app bundles and created yet another project (glick2)...

So maybe is better to judge Canonical after a few years if it was worth it or not. However at least they are going with EGL drivers that everyone can benefit from.

2) double agree on the preinstalled HW :P

3) Sorry but silverlight nor my netflix subscription works on my linux installs (thx msft)... and Adobe does not support linux anymore thus I have an old, slow, buggy flash that heats my laptop.

So I much disagree is worse. I'll be very happy to get rid of those crappy plugins sooner than later.
            Last edited by madjr; 15 May 2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

This is not about your own personal tastes , you can make your own distro if you want. This is about how ubuntu stands right now, and right now is the best distro
              Well, I'm saying the best (usable) OS out there is Solaris 11. How the hell isn't it about my personnal tastes? When anyone says something is the best it's their personnal opinion (unless it's a statement that can be backed up by proof, mathematical being the most irrefutable).

No one thinks further than two, three years. Or past their own cushy setup they have right now.
              You're very optimistic. Today the world works in financial quarters, semesters at most

3) Sorry but silverlight nor my netflix subscription works on my linux installs (thx msft)... and Adobe does not support linux anymore thus I have an old, slow, buggy flash that heats my laptop.
              I'm going to point you here : https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/ra...edia-fpwd.html
              Especially this part :
              1.2.1. Content Decryption Module (CDM)
              This section is non-normative.
              The Content Decryption Module (CDM) is a generic term for a part of or add-on to the user agent that provides functionality for one or more Key Systems. Implementations may or may not separate the implementations of CDMs and may or may not treat them as separate from the user agent. This is transparent to the API and application. A user agent may support one or more CDMs.
              Those add-ons, due to their nature, will be closed source. Granted, it will be a lot less complex than flash/silverlight, the main problem only gets hidden under a pretty API. If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for a Netflix CDM under linux.

Comment

You're very optimistic. Today the world works in financial quarters, semesters at most
                That is generally my downfall. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, I refuse to believe in the worst of the worst.

Sometimes I secretly wish I was just a hapless dolt, floating through life, not noticing anything and obliviously and happily plug away at being a good little consumer.

Comment

Well, I'm saying the best (usable) OS out there is Solaris 11. How the hell isn't it about my personnal tastes? When anyone says something is the best it's their personnal opinion (unless it's a statement that can be backed up by proof, mathematical being the most irrefutable).
                  I didn't know that Solaris is a Linux distro. And no, Solaris is not the best OS, not even close, i prefer Windows 7 for that matter. Just look at the default DE or poor software and hardware support, not even close to be usable. If you need numbers, look for software, hardware and benchmarks numbers, there you go.

Comment

I didn't know that Solaris is a Linux distro. And no, Solaris is not the best OS, not even close, i prefer Windows 7 for that matter. Just look at the default DE or poor software and hardware support, not even close to be usable. If you need numbers, look for software, hardware and benchmarks numbers, there you go.
                    Thanks for taking the bait. (and using "I prefer")
                    I said that based on features I like : Solaris zones, RBAC, ZFS and its relatively nice init system.
                    You mentioned hardware compatibility and appearance. I'll grant you benchmarks.

The point here is different usecases, different people, different opinions.
                    Back on topic : the main point I'm trying to make (and which has already been said in this thread) is that I fear Ubuntu will start dictating future development instead of inter-corporation consensus.

Comment

I'm going to point you here : https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/ra...edia-fpwd.html
                      Especially this part : Those add-ons, due to their nature, will be closed source. Granted, it will be a lot less complex than flash/silverlight, the main problem only gets hidden under a pretty API. If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for a Netflix CDM under linux.
                      Yes, I know. But At least hopefully, It will be available in chrome or maybe Ubuntu-phone.

I know is not the ideal situation, would love to have it working even on midori, but netflix is a little dodgy.

So one less motive to reboot to windows for me and get rid of it completely.

Comment

Working...
                      X