No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 13.04 is amazing so far, I have installed it on 4 of my machines here. The only issue I had was HDMI audio not working by default for both nouveau & nvidia proprietary, but that was easily fixed by upgrading to kernel 3.8.9. Finally I can set my the Unity launcher icon size smaller than 32 pixels! Raring definitely makes up for the mediocre Quantal release.

Comment

making adjustments

For me the Unity bar on a wide-screen display with smaller icons is not a burden; one may have it set to auto-hide also. The first thing I do on a new install is get classicmenu-indicator which gives me everything in a drop-down menu.

Don't like the icons? Get different ones. There are a fair number of icon replacement sets now available. Don't like Unity? Install something else. Works best if you pick something that will integrate well. A bit of searching and some forum diving ought to give all the infos needed to find something that works for you. Finding a good utility that'll help you do fine tuning of configuration is not quite fun, but also not that hard to do. I put classic full sliders back on my windows, for starters. The only real hassle I've got is not being able to get a larger cursor that works across X-server.
      YMMV.

Comment

Michael, you could have linked this thread: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...13-04-released!

Is this a prime example of NIH syndrome we hear so much about nowadays?

Comment

is it a good idea to backport

About two years ago, after reading a bit on the yeas and nays of it, I turned on 'backports' in the sources tab.

My laptop always has the last LTS with backports, the tower usually has the latest release - and with backports enabled.

I figured with backports that I'd get any improvements and fixes - newer kernel, graphics, drivers, and so forth.

Do you think this is a good thing to do? What do you do?

Comment

Guide: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail in less than 20 minutes

Hi,

I continue the upgrade guide series by bringing to you a new one: a little step-by-step guide with screenshots to illustrate the upgrade process from Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal to 13.04 Raring Ringtail very precisely.

I hope this screenshot-guide is of use for those looking to upgrade to the latest (and IMHO greatest) version of Ubuntu

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Maknesium

Comment

"Don't like the icons, theme? Get different ones. "

oh yes, because they make it really easy to do that

it's not like you have to install third party applications to change theme/icons and it's not like you have to add ppa's to get such themes icons etc, and it's not like some work other's don't

Comment

Working...
              X