Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Alpha Gets Its First Delay Due To UEFI

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Alpha Gets Its First Delay Due To UEFI

After a badly-delayed Fedora 18, Fedora 19 has already received its first release set-back...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

UEFI sucks

UEFi is terrible, it should been replaced by coreboot.
    Coreboot is sane, UEFI is not.
    Viva la coreboot!

Comment

and so it begins...

f19 is going to be another fail like f18... I bet 20e that the alpha will be delayed again in a weeks time

Comment

Originally posted by maksml View Post
        UEFi is terrible, it should been replaced by coreboot.
        Actually the more realistic approach is using coreboot for hardware initialization and UEFI on top of it. Google has worked towards this goal. It might be unfortunate but in not so distant future all x86 and ARM (at least AArch64 (64bit ARM)) devices will use UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
          and so it begins...

f19 is going to be another fail like f18... I bet 20e that the alpha will be delayed again in a weeks time
          I hope it won't ;-) Alpha is pretty solid (for Alpha), except the UEFI bug. We even had possible workarounds (at least for the Grub2 one). But as UEFI is more wide spread, the impact could be bigger than before and especially the kernel bug could lead to really very broken system.

And yes, the main reason why we said No-Go was - we don't want to loose our reputation of slipping!!!

Comment

Who the hell decided UEFI problems get to block anything?! Currently its of tertiary significance. UEFI systems are in minority and the function can be disabled anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's why I desperately need a way to install Gnome Shell 3.8 on Fedora 18! Please drop me a link if you you've stumbled upon a set of complete instructions please drop me a link.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
              Who the hell decided UEFI problems get to block anything?! Currently its of tertiary significance. UEFI systems are in minority and the function can be disabled anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's why I desperately need a way to install Gnome Shell 3.8 on Fedora 18! Please drop me a link if you you've stumbled upon a set of complete instructions please drop me a link.
              Bull-freaking-shit.

Any notebook or desktop motherboard bought after 2008 is loaded with UEFI and not BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Bull-freaking-shit.

Any notebook or desktop motherboard bought after 2008 is loaded with UEFI and not BIOS.
                Which one of my claims does this negate?

Comment

;

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  Which one of my claims does this negate?
                  You can't disable uefi, at best you can enable BIOS emulation on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    You can't disable uefi, at best you can enable BIOS emulation on top of it.
                    I confused UEFI with the Secure Boot. Does the bug in question affect UEFI as a whole or just the SB?

Comment

Working...
                    X