Fedora 19 Alpha Gets Its First Delay Due To UEFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
    I confused UEFI with the Secure Boot. Does the bug in question affect UEFI as a whole or just the SB?
    UEFI as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      Who the hell decided UEFI problems get to block anything?! Currently its of tertiary significance. UEFI systems are in minority and the function can be disabled anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's why I desperately need a way to install Gnome Shell 3.8 on Fedora 18! Please drop me a link if you you've stumbled upon a set of complete instructions please drop me a link.
      While recent motherboards have a BIOS mode (I'm booting in BIOS mode from a mobo that uses UEFI right now), you can only dual-boot Windows and Linux if they both use the same booting system (e.g. cannot boot UEFI Windows and BIOS Linux). I don't dual-boot, but some people do.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
        Thanks. I wish they would just stick to the schedule and just place such issues in the 'known issues' section of release notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Bull-freaking-shit.

Any notebook or desktop motherboard bought after 2008 is loaded with UEFI and not BIOS.
          That's nice.
          I have a brand new purchased only a few days ago Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 in my workstation here at work. I'm running a pre-release version of Fedora 19. I told the bios NO FUCKING UEFI CRAP, and passed "noefi" to the installer's kernel. Worked perfect, and no UEFI crap.

I think the big problem that exists, is the approach that Fedora seems to take on this UEFI crap. There are actually two bootloaders on the installer disk, one's UEFI and launched by UEFI crap, the other's syslinux, and launched by normal boot process. Even if the bios is in UEFI mode, it would still happily launch the syslinux bootloader on the CD, but only if the UEFI crap... WAS NOT THERE. In other words, stick to syslinux, scan the INSTALL DISK for UEFI crap, and then decide if UEFI should be used. I.e., UEFI should ONLY be used if the user already has UEFI crap on the disk, which implies that they are dual booting with something evil. If there's no UEFI crap on the disk, take over the disk and *do it right*.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            While recent motherboards have a BIOS mode (I'm booting in BIOS mode from a mobo that uses UEFI right now), you can only dual-boot Windows and Linux if they both use the same booting system (e.g. cannot boot UEFI Windows and BIOS Linux). I don't dual-boot, but some people do.
            I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want to do this. If they must have ballmer's donkey for any use, run it (an older version is less evil than a newer version), in a virtual machine under Linux. There is NO EXCUSE for letting the donkey have access to the metal.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want to do this. If they must have ballmer's donkey for any use, run it (an older version is less evil than a newer version), in a virtual machine under Linux. There is NO EXCUSE for letting the donkey have access to the metal.
              Games? Where performance actually matters?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                I told the bios NO FUCKING UEFI CRAP
                No you didn't. You don't physically have a BIOS. You have an EFI firmware. You told the EFI setup "boot by providing emulation of the firmware on a 16 bit 8086", and that's what it did.

I think the big problem that exists, is the approach that Fedora seems to take on this UEFI crap. There are actually two bootloaders on the installer disk, one's UEFI and launched by UEFI crap, the other's syslinux, and launched by normal boot process. Even if the bios is in UEFI mode, it would still happily launch the syslinux bootloader on the CD, but only if the UEFI crap... WAS NOT THERE. In other words, stick to syslinux, scan the INSTALL DISK for UEFI crap, and then decide if UEFI should be used. I.e., UEFI should ONLY be used if the user already has UEFI crap on the disk, which implies that they are dual booting with something evil. If there's no UEFI crap on the disk, take over the disk and *do it right*.
                The decision is made far, far before it is possible to make a switch in the scenario you describe.

The only subsystem which is early enough to make that call... is the EFI firmware itself. Via some kind of "legacy, then EFI" boot order switch. Which some firmwares offer, although it's broadly useless because then you hit on the MBR-versus-GPT partitioning issue on the hard disk with installed OSes.

Comment

Yea, I just switched from MBR boot to GPT boot with my UEFI (as it just recently got fixed so that it wouldn't crash some EFI files on trying to launch them). And it's working pretty well. The time spent for loading the UEFI seems to be a bit shorter, for instance.

The whole "BIOS emulation" sounds a bit off to me. The actual thing that it does for certain is enable and disable the ability to boot off MBR disks (which are something that should be abolished in the long run, as GPT is superior). And once it boots things, it's the OS that handles everything. If you have an UEFI, then it can access the UEFI variables and such. Though I'm not sure if there are any BIOS calls that UEFI doesn't understand normally. Maybe there are, but I'd like some confirmation about that.

My current UEFI doesn't have an option for "BIOS emulation" at all. Just that I can select to boot off either a disk in MBR mode, or off an EFI file. Same thing with the UEFI of my tablet (although in that case, it automatically selects one, if EFI files exist, it boots that, if not, it tries MBR).

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Bull-freaking-shit.

Any notebook or desktop motherboard bought after 2008 is loaded with UEFI and not BIOS.
                    my new system76 laptop has bios

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      HAHAHA! Fedora is crashing and burning again! Nice to see Ubuntu keeping to its schedule while these fedora programming gods keep failing. Ubuntu > Fedora anytime anywhere.
                      ubuntu doesn't delay because they have no problem releasing something that's a buggy piece of crap. I installed raring daily iso the other day, and main compiz is a total buggy mess right now, worse than its ever been. Empathy/UOA is also really b0rked atm, as is pidgin. Raring is inching closer to release, while the regressions keep on rolling in.

Comment

Working...
                      X