Ubuntu 13.04 To Axe The Wubi Windows Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
    Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

I myself don't care about WUBI I just use regular installations. The biggest gripe I have is having to manually change the boot order in the config file. I wish there was a different way of doing this with GRUB.
    partialy it was said already:

1. its only disabled for next release,

2.do you really think for a newcomer it does really matter if you show them 12.10 or 13.04 release. they use a windows from several years ago probably.

3. If you got somebody into trying out over the wubi installer a ubuntu verison, and they dont wanted it, do you think they want it suddenly now after doing it again?

4. if you got them to install the windows-installation, I would most likely think a update to 13.04 from the installation would work.

5. just to show it, a live-usb-stick is way less problematic than installing it. with a installation you risk to damage the system, with a live-usb-stick not, its read-only.

So if I really consider to show somebody the newest linux I would always use the livecd, and if they like it, but are not 100% shure, but dont wwant to use the livecd always because of sticking it out on the laptop or becauswe they want to use it for something else, I would maybe after that install it with wubi, if they feel undesisive or something about installing it completly without a totaly easy deinstallation fuction.

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    I feel this is good news, if you want the full experience of an OS you need to do a regular Install. And to be quite frank of in my views, multiple Operating Systems are not necessary anymore unless you have some kind of addiction in which you feel like you absolutely must use a particular OS; in which case I recommend treating your addiction, which is really fear of of losing something which you don't really need.
    yes the addiction I got that feeling also that windows is designed to be addictive. Not just usefull and stuff but addictive.
    As example the bugs in windows the old bluescreens generated a mindset to people that "never touch a running system" is a good thing, thats maybe not totaly wrong, but it generated a fear of trying out new stuff, that was bigger than needed.

And when I thought about the addictive thing last time, I heard sombody in a video youtube say, "is it only me that feels very pleased by the feedback the widnows button gives you after doing stuff on the tablet (a physical windows logo button) its a bit like a rumble effect or zapping or so.

And then he showed the totaly unintuitive features, he tried to tell his mother how to use it. and had to describe every step, not like in the ios-tablet where she came along with some tipps.

So they train us gestures that makes no sense at all and are totaly unintuitive for what, that we cant at some point use devices/programms that use intuitive gestures.

They train us to learn that if something does the right thing it must be wrong because it does not behave like windows.

And with the feedback from this button on their new surface tablets I thought instantly to the whistle dog-trainers have to train the dogs.... I dont wanna be threaded like a dog
    Last edited by blackiwid; 02 April 2013, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      It was a helpfull option for people with laptops where all 4 primery MBR partitions where used by Windows an it's recovery tools. And a way to test out the propritery graphics drivers without comitting.
      Good thing we're moving towards GPT, then.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      yes the addiction I got that feeling also that windows is designed to be addictive. Not just usefull and stuff but addictive.
      Yeap, that's also the whole reason behind programs like DreamSpark. They give out their products for free or nearly so for teaching purposes. And then students have no idea how programs and OSs other than MS ones work.

Comment

Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
        Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

I myself don't care about WUBI I just use regular installations. The biggest gripe I have is having to manually change the boot order in the config file. I wish there was a different way of doing this with GRUB.
        Virtualbox. You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

As example the bugs in windows the old bluescreens generated a mindset to people that "never touch a running system" is a good thing, thats maybe not totaly wrong, but it generated a fear of trying out new stuff, that was bigger than needed.

And when I thought about the addictive thing last time, I heard sombody in a video youtube say, "is it only me that feels very pleased by the feedback the widnows button gives you after doing stuff on the tablet (a physical windows logo button) its a bit like a rumble effect or zapping or so.

And then he showed the totaly unintuitive features, he tried to tell his mother how to use it. and had to describe every step, not like in the ios-tablet where she came along with some tipps.

So they train us gestures that makes no sense at all and are totaly unintuitive for what, that we cant at some point use devices/programms that use intuitive gestures.

They train us to learn that if something does the right thing it must be wrong because it does not behave like windows.

And with the feedback from this button on their new surface tablets I thought instantly to the whistle dog-trainers have to train the dogs.... I dont wanna be threaded like a dog
          I just don't understand why people are hating on Windows 8 so much. Using it on a Surface was great, except when the limitations of the RT version kicked in. Sold it off and imported a Surface Pro from the US and everything is now gravy. There's no way I will want to install Linux on this tablet (even though SB can be easily disabled to do so) after having played with it for some time.

And yes, Microsoft's products are addicting. Very addicting, i might add, to the point where I seem to have divided my computing time on my desktop and notebooks to 50% Windows 8 and 50% Fedora. Office 2013, SQL Server and Visual Studio alone are almost enough to send me completely back over to Windows land.

Not to mention that Windows Phone 8 plays so much better on Windows 8 than Android does on a Linux system...and this is speaking from personal experience with 2 such smartphones.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 02 April 2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            Not to mention that Windows Phone 8 plays so much better on Windows 8 than Android does on a Linux system...and this is speaking from personal experience with 2 such smartphones.
            How about Android on ChromeOS? Otherwise you're comparing Apple to Orange.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              How about Android on ChromeOS? Otherwise you're comparing Apple to Orange.
              Except that Chromebooks are not sold in this country. No demand for it at all. And I'm not exactly keen on plonking down a couple grand for a Pixel (with another 100+ for shipping) with only 32GB of storage space, even though the screen is a wet dream come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                I just don't understand why people are hating on Windows 8 so much. Using it on a Surface was great, except when the limitations of the RT version kicked in. Sold it off and imported a Surface Pro from the US and everything is now gravy. There's no way I will want to install Linux on this tablet (even though SB can be easily disabled to do so) after having played with it for some time.

And yes, Microsoft's products are addicting. Very addicting, i might add, to the point where I seem to have divided my computing time on my desktop and notebooks to 50% Windows 8 and 50% Fedora. Office 2013, SQL Server and Visual Studio alone are almost enough to send me completely back over to Windows land.

Its not hating, I just say, what I have seen in this video. And what are facts. he showed even the intro, that is 10 seconds long and does not bring you into a state that you can use this os.

You have to watch a 45minute youtube video form some users to be able to use this os.

As a good example how bad this os is, is where the shutdown button is. you have to switch from the right site out a secret bar, you have to randomly find, by guessing wild around gestures... and then go under settings to find under settings the shutdown button. Thats just retarded.

You can argue you dont need shutdown often and it was under gnome bad too, but even in the 1-2 minor releases of gnome where shutdown was hidden, you could always logout and then shutdown.
                Then there is another thing, even on the tablet you have several problems, the desktop mode is still there? WHY? if the "normal" mode is ok why giving a normal desktop mode, and if you do that, so if your new thing isnt good enough to fully replace the old desktop, why is there no start button or something similar on this desktop?

So but ok even in tablet mode this os is bad, or at least unintuitiv, yes there is a difference between intuitive and good, you could even say that you think windows is good, but still is not intuitive.
                I dont agree to that, but it would be possible.

As example I make me use emacs since a while and its totaly unintuitive (maybe also microsofts fault that I find it not intuitive because its just other scheme than I am used to...) but its good. So I did in my last post say primary that its not intuitive, thats not the same.

So you did blame me for saying that windows 8 is bad while I did never say that (in last post).

So but to get back to my previous point, even with a tablet its a very strange experince and not very intuitive, but on a tablet windows 8 is still way better than if you want to use it on a normal non-touch pc. So for that its just stupid, to make the gestures with the mouse is just bad, now I say it that its really bad, at least with non-touch devices.

you can look it up on youtube the channel name is osfirsttimer they testet like 20 systems macosxes, ios, different linuxes, windows 2000/older ones even dos and so on, even she never used linux before and really loves her windows xp, on the 3 worst oses she put 3 windows oses, and I think one of it was windows 8. And no that was no linux-geek. A mother that wants to update to windows vista or windows 7 then.

You compare it now with android, maybe android on tablets arent that good too, have no one, I just did compare it to the ios-tablet.

And to compare it to android, at least with a mouse you can easily control it, there are no real hidden menus, maybe the dropdown-thing but you can get to all whats in there also by the normal application menu which is a icon for, and that is not hidden.

You need maybe some time to find fast every thing in the application structure, but you dont have to know many secret gestures, maybe for closing a window you need that, but thats not very importent because you dont need to close stuff.

And another difference is that, android is basicly for free, I installed a cost-free version of android 4.1 on my old defy handy (cyagenmod) and installed a adblock tool. so comparing something that costs 0 dollars and something they want money for is also not fair, but still android win at least slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                  There is no reason in this day and age to use WUBI. I used something like it way, way back. It was called WinLinux. It pretty much did what WUBI does today on Win 95 /98 (maybe Me?). Buuuut, today we have virtual machines, powerful computers and good disk imaging software that can be obtained at no cost (like the free version of Macrium Reflect).

If you are the one that is helping friends and family install Ubuntu, than do it properly for God's sake.
                  Virtualization is great but there are perfectly working computers without vt-x, yes even today.
                  And sorry but "powerful computers" cost something, some people are poor or too young to have their own money.

I'm not saying wubi is perfect, I'm just saying that the reality is that some people were very happy with wubi and it was their first step in linux world.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Good thing we're moving towards GPT, then.
                    Turns out the Ubuntu installer has issues with interacting with the Windows 8 laptops that have GPT partitions as well. It can't see Windows and appears to not want to partition the drive either. I think it is related to the MBR compatible sektion of the GPT, but I haven't had a chance to play with one my self.

Comment

[QUOTE=ruinairas;323079]Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

Well one thing was it was far slower than the normal livecd or normal install.

So it may have put people off looking more into the OS.

One person at work mentioned how slow ubuntu was compared to Windows, it was only after about 15 minutes into the conversation I worked out he was using wubi.

Comment

Working...
                      X