X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramiliez
    replied
    Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
    Boxes is on a good way to be soon a decent alternative to Oracles VirtualBox OSE. The best feature which comes/came to Boxes 3.8 is the USB redirection IMHO.

I already have used Boxes 3.6, but replaced it with VirtualBox again, because the file transfer between guest and host was a bit tricky. So in Gnome 3.8 I will switch again, I guess.

(new features in Boxes 3.8: http://zee-nix.blogspot.de/2013/03/w...-boxes-38.html)
    Is this stuff Gnome-only?

Leave a comment:

• Fenrin
    replied
    Originally posted by wargames View Post
    I really hope Oracle does not follow the same path with Virtualbox, which is one of my top applications.
    Boxes is on a good way to be soon a decent alternative to Oracles VirtualBox OSE. The best feature which comes/came to Boxes 3.8 is the USB redirection IMHO.

I already have used Boxes 3.6, but replaced it with VirtualBox again, because the file transfer between guest and host was a bit tricky. So in Gnome 3.8 I will switch again, I guess.

(new features in Boxes 3.8: http://zee-nix.blogspot.de/2013/03/w...-boxes-38.html)

Leave a comment:

• Mickabouille
    replied
    Originally posted by Hermit View Post
    So, who thinks eventually MySQL and Hudson will follow in the same footsteps as OpenOffice and go to the Apache Foundation? Java is a different story, I don't ever see them let that one go. It's too well entrenched into everything.
    For Hudson, it's already done, though it's not gone to Apache but to the Eclipse (if I remember correctly).

Leave a comment:

• Mickabouille
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Are we talking free as in beer or free as in freedom? 'Cause VMWare does have a free (as in beer) version of its application. I don't know how it compares to the paid one, so it may be crippled in comparison, i moved away from VirtualBox to the free VMWare a while back, never looked at the paid one.
    Free as in freedom, of course. People tend to forget that it's also an objective quality of software.

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    They kind of already have.... openjdk is the new official reference implementation. Like Oracle is still technically in charge, but...
    But the language specification itself and the JCP, they still have quite a bit of influence over that.

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    Are we talking free as in beer or free as in freedom? 'Cause VMWare does have a free (as in beer) version of its application. I don't know how it compares to the paid one, so it may be crippled in comparison, i moved away from VirtualBox to the free VMWare a while back, never looked at the paid one.
    I've always used the commercial version of workstation, never used the open source version. Don't know how much feature is missing from that.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    So, who thinks eventually MySQL and Hudson will follow in the same footsteps as OpenOffice and go to the Apache Foundation? Java is a different story, I don't ever see them let that one go. It's too well entrenched into everything.
    They kind of already have.... openjdk is the new official reference implementation. Like Oracle is still technically in charge, but...

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Unfortunately VMWare is not free. For desktop virtualization there's still no better choice than VirtualBox, for server virtualization absolutely go with QEMU-KVM.

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    Why not VMWare? Better 3D support for the guests if nothing else.
    Unfortunately VMWare is not free. For desktop virtualization there's still no better choice than VirtualBox, for server virtualization absolutely go with QEMU-KVM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X