Arch Linux Replaces MySQL With MariaDB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hermit View Post
    So, who thinks eventually MySQL and Hudson will follow in the same footsteps as OpenOffice and go to the Apache Foundation? Java is a different story, I don't ever see them let that one go. It's too well entrenched into everything.
    For Hudson, it's already done, though it's not gone to Apache but to the Eclipse (if I remember correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      I really hope Oracle does not follow the same path with Virtualbox, which is one of my top applications.
      Boxes is on a good way to be soon a decent alternative to Oracles VirtualBox OSE. The best feature which comes/came to Boxes 3.8 is the USB redirection IMHO.

I already have used Boxes 3.6, but replaced it with VirtualBox again, because the file transfer between guest and host was a bit tricky. So in Gnome 3.8 I will switch again, I guess.

(new features in Boxes 3.8: http://zee-nix.blogspot.de/2013/03/w...-boxes-38.html)

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
        Boxes is on a good way to be soon a decent alternative to Oracles VirtualBox OSE. The best feature which comes/came to Boxes 3.8 is the USB redirection IMHO.

I already have used Boxes 3.6, but replaced it with VirtualBox again, because the file transfer between guest and host was a bit tricky. So in Gnome 3.8 I will switch again, I guess.

(new features in Boxes 3.8: http://zee-nix.blogspot.de/2013/03/w...-boxes-38.html)
        Is this stuff Gnome-only?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          Boxes is on a good way to be soon a decent alternative to Oracles VirtualBox OSE.
          Boxes ? What an horribly ungooglable name they found here

Comment

Every month I wonder why Oracle ever bought out Sun. They gained Solaris and let that crumble into nothing. They gained Java and made it unappealing to use. They gained Virtualbox and the only feature gains it gets are experimental. They gained OpenOffice and maintained it so poorly LibreOffice became a necessary project. They gained SPARC and AFAIK that's collecting cobwebs. And now this? I'm sure I missed something else but really Oracle - why did you buy Sun? Oracle is seriously causing damage to the open source world.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Every month I wonder why Oracle ever bought out Sun. They gained Solaris and let that crumble into nothing. They gained Java and made it unappealing to use. They gained Virtualbox and the only feature gains it gets are experimental. They gained OpenOffice and maintained it so poorly LibreOffice became a necessary project. They gained SPARC and AFAIK that's collecting cobwebs. And now this? I'm sure I missed something else but really Oracle - why did you buy Sun? Oracle is seriously causing damage to the open source world.
              I mostly agree with you, but why do you say they made java unappealing to use ?

Comment

Patents. Sun got a lot of them and Oracle got a low of lawyer to sue everyone with patents.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                  Patents. Sun got a lot of them and Oracle got a low of lawyer to sue everyone with patents.
                  But patents for what? It seems to me the patents Oracle gained were nothing they would benefit from - such as with Java. Speaking of which, @wargames, that is one of the examples of Java being made unappealing. That and things like how it includes a "do you want to install Ask Toolbar?" option (in Windows anyway) and serious security flaws.

Comment

My understanding, at the time, was that first and foremost Oracle was purchasing Sun to prevent their competitors from controlling Java in a way that would be harmful to Oracle's business. Keep in mind that Sun was only the third largest acquisition in Oracle's history. PeopleSoft and BEA, #1 and #2 respectively, were Java applications and middleware vendors. So it's not about "doing something with Java", it's more about "preventing others from doing something with Java that might hurt Oracle."

Secondary, from what I gathered back then, was the hardware division. I haven't been keeping up with what's going on there, but I recall reading about how the SPARC relationship with Fujitsu appeared to be falling apart, and that had me raising eyebrows. But, then again, Oracle's got a reputation for aggressive decision-making, so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.

I never saw any analysis of how valuable Sun's patent portfolio was to Oracle, but I have to agree that that must surely have been a major driver as well. I mean, shit, just think of how much stuff is out there that started as a Sun project.

So them's the big three, as I see it. As for everything else, well...

Stuff like OO.o, Solaris, ZFS and MySQL was probably just icing to them. I can't imagine Oracle being interested in any of those in a stand-alone purchase, even at a bargain price. Keep in mind that with the later three in that four that I mention, Oracle already had competing products available or in development (Unbreakable Linux, Btrfs, and their existing plethora of database technologies).

So, in short, the Sun stuff that interests us most is the Sun stuff that probably interested Oracle the least.

Comment

bdw
                      Slackware current also replaced mysql with mariadb on the 23'rd of march
                      theres also an explanation
                      ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk/slackware.../ChangeLog.txt

"The poll on LQ showed a large
                      majority of our users were in favor of the change. It's my belief that
                      the MariaDB Foundation will do a better job with the code, be more
                      responsive to security concerns, and be more willing to work with the
                      open source community. And while I don't think there is currently any
                      issue with MySQL's licensing of the community edition for commercial uses,
                      several threads on LQ showed that there is confusion about this, whereas
                      with MariaDB the freedom to use the software is quite clear."

Comment

Working...
                      X