Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenrus Linux: A Distro For Performance, Developers

Phoronix: Fenrus Linux: A Distro For Performance, Developers

Fenrus Linux is a new Linux distribution being led by a well known Intel Linux developer. Goals of Fenrus Linux include focusing upon an optimal developer experience rather than world domination and also maximizing the performance and power management of the open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are they reinventing Arch Linux there? :-P

Comment

If I recall, the person behind this has a forum account called fenrus. Anyway, he should look into using ZFS and DTrace.

Comment

bla bla bla intel bla bla bla performance bla bla bla fenrus bla bla apt get sucks bla bla

fenrus.img.gz 03-Mar-2013 11:17 1.6G

?????????????

what? is this CLI only? does it even have a DE?

did anyone even bothered downloading and running it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
          what? is this CLI only? does it even have a DE?
          GNOME, KDE Plasma, Mate, Xfce.

Comment

I'm not sure arch is as fast as everyone suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by jumico View Post
              I'm not sure arch is as fast as everyone suggests.
              Much faster than Windows 7. But it has the problem the developers of Fenrus mention on their site: package management. I'm sick of reinstalling Libreoffice, and other major apps because someone decides to modify the PKGBUILD to add this or that dependency. They really need to think about incremental updates to the packages.

Comment

As if Arch or Gentoo wouldn't cater to anyone this is aimed at.

I'm all for choice, really i am, but sometimes I do have to roll my eyes at every man and his dog releasing a distro.
                Usually it's pointless & completely unnecessary. Rarely does anything get released now that isn't basically the same as an existing distro, perhaps slightly tweaked.

Comment

How are the benchmarks to be read?

Comment

For lower spec machines, the Arch Linux difference is much clearer. For instance, there are some computers I have that run terribly with Kubuntu but run KDE on Arch beautifully. So having a minimal base can go a long way.

This certainly looks interesting to me, especially the concepts of automating software packaging. If this can be done reliably, it would give Fenrus a big advantage over other distributions. It also begs the question- if Fenrus can successful tackle these technical issues, would it be a good alternative to more technical distributions like Debian and Arch? If so, it could be a good base for user-friendly distributions, just as Debian is currently the base for Ubuntu.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Comment

Working...
                    X