No announcement yet.

Fenrus Linux: A Distro For Performance, Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the person behind this has a forum account called fenrus.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      especially the concepts of automating software packaging. If this can be done reliably, it would give Fenrus a big advantage over other distributions.
      This nonetheless is already being attempted elsewhere. Frugalware Linux is one example.
      IMO, this still stands as another unnecessary distribution start-up, further dividing resources.

As I said in earlier post, I am for choice, and of course people can do as they please, but i still think this whole 'zomg i do stuff a little different that takes liek 20 seconds to change an existing distro to do... shit, better release my own distro' stuff is unproductive at best.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
        This certainly looks interesting to me, especially the concepts of automating software packaging. If this can be done reliably, it would give Fenrus a big advantage over other distributions. It also begs the question- if Fenrus can successful tackle these technical issues, would it be a good alternative to more technical distributions like Debian and Arch? If so, it could be a good base for user-friendly distributions, just as Debian is currently the base for Ubuntu.
        Intriguing. But since Debian packages often include custom patches, surely "automated packaging" can't be as good (unless it basically pulls all of these from Debian)?

What do the "deltas" mean in the performance graphs (other than "bigger is better")?

While developing or debugging something on Linux, how often have you gotten frustrated about getting the right debuginfo rpm installed? ... In Fenrus Linux, we use a custom Fuse filesystem that will get any and all debug information you need, on demand, right there when you need it.
        Now, that is innovative.
        Last edited by Cyborg16; 25 March 2013, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
          IMO, this still stands as another unnecessary distribution start-up, further dividing resources.
          This person is an upstream developer. I think we can cut him some slack and let him run his own pet project if he feels like it.

Comment

As if Arch or Gentoo wouldn't cater to anyone this is aimed at.

I'm all for choice, really i am, but sometimes I do have to roll my eyes at every man and his dog releasing a distro.
            Usually it's pointless & completely unnecessary. Rarely does anything get released now that isn't basically the same as an existing distro, perhaps slightly tweaked.
            Thanks for sharing?

Comment

'zomg i do stuff a little different that takes liek 20 seconds to change an existing distro to do... shit, better release my own distro'
              Fenrus Linux is described as having a novel packaging workflow and update mechanism, which one really can't change in about 20 seconds on an existing distro.

Comment

i still think this whole 'zomg i do stuff a little different that takes liek 20 seconds to change an existing distro to do... shit, better release my own distro' stuff is unproductive at best.
                I disagree. I think this kind of diversity is what makes Linux great. If the ideas are working out well and take only 20 seconds to implement, then other distros will adopt them quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                  How are the benchmarks to be read?
                  for each test, the "best of the rest" score is used as an index (e.g 100%). the score for Fenrus Linux is then indexed against this score and a delta percentage comes out.
                  (the scores are always "higher is better", for those PTS tests where Lower-Is-Better, the result is inverted)

each "point" on the graph is a release of the distro (rolling release model)

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    I disagree. I think this kind of diversity is what makes Linux great. If the ideas are working out well and take only 20 seconds to implement, then other distros will adopt them quickly.
                    The innovations that Fenrus Linux attempts could have been done by modifying Gentoo via an overlay. With that said, I have nothing against people trying to do things differently and I wish Fenrus all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                      This person is an upstream developer. I think we can cut him some slack and let him run his own pet project if he feels like it.
                      He can do whatever he likes. I don't expect he'd be discouraged by my comments on this forum. I wouldn't be, in his position.

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                      Thanks for sharing?

<large image>
                      No worries, glad you enjoyed my post.

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                      Fenrus Linux is described as having a novel packaging workflow and update mechanism, which one really can't change in about 20 seconds on an existing distro.
                      Good. I hope it does actually offer new distinct features, I hope my comments don't apply to it, like they do so many others.

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      And hopefully merge where & when reasonably applicable.

---

I'm sorry if some people don't agree with my opinion that increased unification and tighter resource pooling would be a good thing, but that is my view.
                      Understand too; I don't at all suggest all distros combine. Some are simply too different and have outright incompatible philosophies.

Comment

Working...
                      X