Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developing Its Own Calculator, Calendar, Etc

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developing Its Own Calculator, Calendar, Etc

Further differentiating itself from the GNOME desktop stack it was previously based upon, developers are working on their own calendar, weather, and clock applications that are written against the Ubuntu SDK. They've even developed their own Sudoku and other games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is not surprising at all. In fact, I was looking forward to core apps being rewritten in QML and brought up to better standards.

Inb4 funkSTAR "Canonical is the devil because of CLA and they boycott GNOME"

Comment

Do they have enough devs to do all this at the same time ? There are projects out there which could benefit everyone in *nix ecosystem and that need devs, who will contribute to this mess ? Miguel de Icaza maybe (ahahahah) ? Also I don't like Shuttleworth saying GNOME3 is a Unity rip-off, I don't even see the point in this statement. I feel that things may go really really wrong sooner or later about these idiotic decisions, bad spirit and perverted politics.

Comment

obviously yet another calculator without basic functionality is needed.

Comment

QML?

So maybe the apps can be reused for razor-qt?

Comment

Technical feasibiity aside and whether you agree with their decisions or not, it's becoming pretty clear (at least to me) that their "desktop" decisions are being almost solely driven by their mobile strategy at this point. As soon as you put their decisions in this context, it starts to make "sense" as far as explaining the logic regardless of whatever their publicly stated reasoning might be.

It seems to me that there is still a market (however niche it might be) for them to carve out with their mobile efforts if they play their cards right. If they spread their resources too thin on projects that might not be explicitly necessary (hint: Mir), then they will fall flat on their face.

Comment

Anyone else think those advert "links" are really really annoying on Phoronix? Everytime I think it's a link, nope pop up advert, argh!!

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                So maybe the apps can be reused for razor-qt?
                Probably Canonical need some sort of DE integration, so I think other dependency is likely

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                  Also I don't like Shuttleworth saying GNOME3 is a Unity rip-off, I don't even see the point in this statement.
                  But did he really say that? Or are you twisting his actual words?

Comment

Will these apps only work on Ubuntu?

Will Ubuntu still be able to run software not written in the Ubuntu SDK?

Comment

Working...
                    X