Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux Looks To Improve Its Boot Experience

Phoronix: Fedora Linux Looks To Improve Its Boot Experience

A proposal has been voiced for improving the boot experience of Fedora Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope they don't get rid of the GRUB screen altogether.

It doesn't happen very often, but once every year it seems, during an update the Kernel doesn't get initialized properly and panics.

It's easy enough to fix, I just uninstall and reinstall that kernel version and it usually works fine. But this process would be incredibly more complicated if I no longer had the option to hit the down arrow button and select the prior kernel version and boot off of that, in order to do the fix.

Comment

noooo, why do they have to change the boot splash to just a spinner? I really like fedora's current one IMO, its already very minimalistic, but still nice looking.

Comment

Guessing what key to mash to access bootloader is an incredibly annoying problem. I really hope they include a helpful message.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          noooo, why do they have to change the boot splash to just a spinner? I really like fedora's current one IMO, its already very minimalistic, but still nice looking.
          You can always change the spinner if you do not like the newer version. Solar rendition is still available for example.

Comment

I always just turn off the graphical boot so I can see the nice green okays anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              Well, it is minimalistic, but not terribly useful (also, jerky).
              The problem with a spinner is that it gives you NO indication how far along in the process the boot is.
              I think the suggestions about making the boot "As Fast As Possible" is the right way to go (and something that should be fairly easy with systemd, especially since even more of the unit files should be native with F19). The blocker, however, has been md/lvm/udev. It would be nice if, before install (assuming this is done with a live installer), the "installer" looks at the system and statically applies whatever is attached to the system currently. That should ensure the kernel has everything in it that it needs (yeah, it'd be bigger, so what?). Udev would obviously still run, but it would be blocking many fewer things.
              Oh, when the boot is finally fast enough, then work on the boot screen and grub.
              AAR, that's my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
              X