Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu SDK Looks Towards Qt Creator

Phoronix: Ubuntu SDK Looks Towards Qt Creator

Another item discussed on the first day of the virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit is about the roadmap for the Ubuntu SDK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats a great choice for those who fancy Non-Linux, DRM and CLA. Congratz Canonical you are doing so well these days! LOL.

Comment

This is actually a great choice, and an obvious choice, for them because of porting Unity to Qt/QML

(Funk, I'm ignoring you if you reply to any of my posts so dont bother)
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yeah...

Wait a minute! I'm able to predict the future:
        "We think that Qt Creator is a step forward for develop the Ubuntu SDK. We think to write some plug-in for fit it into ubuntu needs."
        1 year after...
        "Because Qt Creator suffer of x, y and z (immaginary) weakness, we need to build our SDK (means Qt stuff fork) in house."

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
          Wait a minute! I'm able to predict the future:
          "We think that Qt Creator is a step forward for develop the Ubuntu SDK. We think to write some plug-in for fit it into ubuntu needs."
          1 year after...
          "Because Qt Creator suffer of x, y and z (immaginary) weakness, we need to build our SDK (means Qt stuff fork) in house."
          Aint gonna happen. Unlike copyleft software Canonical can get all the shit they need from Qt. Because Qt is commercial, have DRM and a whack boon squad supporting all this craziness. These idiots like CLA, DRM, commercial shit and iOS.

Comment

I like Qt Creator as a full C++ IDE. If they based their SDK with it then I think it will be just great.

Comment

Good choice. I just hope they start offering design resources and guidelines so developers can create beautiful Ubuntu apps even if they suck at design (which is often the case with Linux developers, unfortunately) - in the same way Google, Apple and Microsoft have done it for their mobile operating systems. And I hope they scale well to desktop, because I still hate how old and obsolete most Linux programs look today. Ubuntu wants to be a mainstream OS, but that could turn off a lot of users. People want not just beautiful interfaces, but beautiful apps, too.

Comment

Good decision

That sounds good. QtCreator is already a very good IDE. I just need to learn some more QT/C++ (and QML). It's a shame I needed to learn Java first

Comment

They should write their own IDE from scratch. They do for almost everything else. In the end, they should also write their own kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    They should write their own IDE from scratch. They do for almost everything else. In the end, they should also write their own kernel.
                    Why should they write their own IDE from scratch?

Comment

Working...
                    X