X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AdamW
    replied
    Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
    unfortunately i cant test right now, my hd6870 broke and im lazy to install legacy drivers for my current hd4670, i will receive my hd7870 in a week then i can report back with more info, altho i doubt its gnome-shell, ive installed lightdm and mate-desktop because i hate gnome3, and completely removed every gnome3 related package and altho my dm delay is somewhat solved, mate-desktop still takes ages to load
    So I found time to look at this again yesterday, and found that for me, the problem seems to be in nautilus, and appears to happen only when the network is down:

Is your network down when booting the system? If so it could be the same thing; nautilus may be coming up in MATE.

Leave a comment:

• AnorexiasGrizzli
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    I've seen several people report this and my laptop seems to be hitting it: I believe it's actually gnome-shell hitting some kind of timeout during startup. If you just restart gnome-shell with alt-f2 'r', does it also take a long time? I'm planning to work on debugging this with the desktop devs soon. This could well be the bug that hit some of the systems in this benchmark.
    unfortunately i cant test right now, my hd6870 broke and im lazy to install legacy drivers for my current hd4670, i will receive my hd7870 in a week then i can report back with more info, altho i doubt its gnome-shell, ive installed lightdm and mate-desktop because i hate gnome3, and completely removed every gnome3 related package and altho my dm delay is somewhat solved, mate-desktop still takes ages to load

Leave a comment:

• AdamW
    replied
    Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
    for me fedora 18 boots quickly but the GDM loads in about 30 seconds and once i log in the desktop takes another 30 seconds to load...its hardly usable this way, especially cause i installed it on an ssd
    I've seen several people report this and my laptop seems to be hitting it: I believe it's actually gnome-shell hitting some kind of timeout during startup. If you just restart gnome-shell with alt-f2 'r', does it also take a long time? I'm planning to work on debugging this with the desktop devs soon. This could well be the bug that hit some of the systems in this benchmark.

Leave a comment:

• AnorexiasGrizzli
    replied
    for me fedora 18 boots quickly but the GDM loads in about 30 seconds and once i log in the desktop takes another 30 seconds to load...its hardly usable this way, especially cause i installed it on an ssd

Leave a comment:

• panda84
    replied
    Originally posted by panda84 View Post
    Hi everybody, hi Michael.

I just wanted to let you know that systemd has a really easy and nice tool to analyze what is slow. Sometimes the slow task might even be non-blocking, so that user perceived boot time is not as slow as stats declare.

To have a better detail of boot times and slow services you can use:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze time
    and:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze blame
    You can even get a plot of boot with:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze plot
    BTW, a good guide to using the tool can be found here:
    When I’m checking the performance of my fedora, I found that my fedora takes 36 seconds to boot completely which is double the value of expected (15s) boot-up time. I decided to optimize my f…

Leave a comment:

• panda84
    replied
    systemd-analyze

Hi everybody, hi Michael.

I just wanted to let you know that systemd has a really easy and nice tool to analyze what is slow. Sometimes the slow task might even be non-blocking, so that user perceived boot time is not as slow as stats declare.

To have a better detail of boot times and slow services you can use:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze time
    and:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze blame
    You can even get a plot of boot with:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze plot

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    This realy sucks, if it is practicaly slower in Fedora 18 as well.

I have not realy felt the need for a SSD, because Fedora 17 boots realy fast en feels realy responsive for file lookup. For example when I mount a Windows partition, Rhythmbox instantly displays all music that's on that drive, and scrolling and previewing a map full of pictures is so fast that I can't notice any slowdowns using a HDD.

I hope that once I install Fedora 18 on my new (refurbished) desktop with a standard Seagate Baracuda 500GB, this isn't making me downgrade to Fedora 17

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora 18 Systemd Boot Performance Is Mixed
    This is not a good article! It would be interesting where the problem exactly is! As "funkSTAR" said, you can analyze this with systemd's blame!
    Last edited by Steffo; 23 January 2013, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kokoko3k
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    Fixed that for you (when using the NVIDIA driver at least)... this is why I never suspend or hibernate.
    So... man power should think to solve hibernation problems rather than boot speed.

Anyway that's strange, i always used hibernation (first tuxonice, then vanilla) with:
    7900gt,9600gt,9800gt and ion first gen without problems across kernel releases for years.
    Last edited by kokoko3k; 23 January 2013, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    Just use that and have your system draw a black screen in 10 seconds...
    Fixed that for you (when using the NVIDIA driver at least)... this is why I never suspend or hibernate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X