Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

systemd-analyze

Hi everybody, hi Michael.

I just wanted to let you know that systemd has a really easy and nice tool to analyze what is slow. Sometimes the slow task might even be non-blocking, so that user perceived boot time is not as slow as stats declare.

To have a better detail of boot times and slow services you can use:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze time
    and:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze blame
    You can even get a plot of boot with:
    Code:
    systemd-analyze plot

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
      Hi everybody, hi Michael.

I just wanted to let you know that systemd has a really easy and nice tool to analyze what is slow. Sometimes the slow task might even be non-blocking, so that user perceived boot time is not as slow as stats declare.

To have a better detail of boot times and slow services you can use:
      Code:
      systemd-analyze time
      and:
      Code:
      systemd-analyze blame
      You can even get a plot of boot with:
      Code:
      systemd-analyze plot
      BTW, a good guide to using the tool can be found here:
      When I’m checking the performance of my fedora, I found that my fedora takes 36 seconds to boot completely which is double the value of expected (15s) boot-up time. I decided to optimize my f…

Comment

for me fedora 18 boots quickly but the GDM loads in about 30 seconds and once i log in the desktop takes another 30 seconds to load...its hardly usable this way, especially cause i installed it on an ssd

Comment

Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
          for me fedora 18 boots quickly but the GDM loads in about 30 seconds and once i log in the desktop takes another 30 seconds to load...its hardly usable this way, especially cause i installed it on an ssd
          I've seen several people report this and my laptop seems to be hitting it: I believe it's actually gnome-shell hitting some kind of timeout during startup. If you just restart gnome-shell with alt-f2 'r', does it also take a long time? I'm planning to work on debugging this with the desktop devs soon. This could well be the bug that hit some of the systems in this benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
            I've seen several people report this and my laptop seems to be hitting it: I believe it's actually gnome-shell hitting some kind of timeout during startup. If you just restart gnome-shell with alt-f2 'r', does it also take a long time? I'm planning to work on debugging this with the desktop devs soon. This could well be the bug that hit some of the systems in this benchmark.
            unfortunately i cant test right now, my hd6870 broke and im lazy to install legacy drivers for my current hd4670, i will receive my hd7870 in a week then i can report back with more info, altho i doubt its gnome-shell, ive installed lightdm and mate-desktop because i hate gnome3, and completely removed every gnome3 related package and altho my dm delay is somewhat solved, mate-desktop still takes ages to load

Comment

Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
              unfortunately i cant test right now, my hd6870 broke and im lazy to install legacy drivers for my current hd4670, i will receive my hd7870 in a week then i can report back with more info, altho i doubt its gnome-shell, ive installed lightdm and mate-desktop because i hate gnome3, and completely removed every gnome3 related package and altho my dm delay is somewhat solved, mate-desktop still takes ages to load
              So I found time to look at this again yesterday, and found that for me, the problem seems to be in nautilus, and appears to happen only when the network is down:

Is your network down when booting the system? If so it could be the same thing; nautilus may be coming up in MATE.

Comment

Working...
              X