SprezzOS: "Most Robust, Beautiful & Performant Linux"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j2723 View Post
    The point is, these things shouldn't happen, ever.
    I have been using Windows in the past for so long, and I don't remember a single time where my bootloader (or windows update software) got crapped because of a system update.
    I'd also like to mention, I've been using Windows for far longer than I have been using any GNU/Linux distributions.
    Have you been using the experimental, unstable, bleeding edge version of Windows? Or the stable, released, and supported version.

If you want to compare, you have to compare Windows releases to the long-term support releases of Linux: Debian stable, RHEL, SUSE Linux Enterprise, Ubuntu LTS or CentOS.

I know you will probably argue that I should use Debian stable, but that wont cut it for me.
    Debian stable - too old software.
    Not older than Windows, surely!!!

You can still backport select applications that NEED to be more current (I do this with firefox), but you don't need to upgrade your bootloader, compiler, C library and shell every week. If you want a stable product, you must let it stabilise instead of throwing untested stuff into the mix for fun.

Some people misunderstand: Debian unstable, Fedora, Ubuntu etc. are not meant to be stable. They are meant to be unstable. If you run them, you must accept this. They are sanitized snapshots with modern software. The stable releases are the long-term support releases, and they ARE stable.

Comment

Originally posted by j2723 View Post
      The point is, these things shouldn't happen, ever.
      I have been using Windows in the past for so long, and I don't remember a single time where my bootloader (or windows update software) got crapped because of a system update.
      I'd also like to mention, I've been using Windows for far longer than I have been using any GNU/Linux distributions.
      I'm not exactly "new" to GNU/Linux either, I've been using it exclusively as my Desktop for well over a year now, and around two years as a Server.
      I have used Windows since before it was windows. I have had Windows do neat things to MBR's trust me. Of course to suffer threw the hell fuck that is Windows, it may have caused memory loss.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        Not older than Windows, surely!!!
        Debian stable comes with software much older than what you get on Windows. Windows is *not* a software distribution. You get the latest versions of all your software from the vendor of that software. On Debian (and of course virtually any other Linux distro) you get the software from Debian (or repo from the distro you're using.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Debian stable comes with software much older than what you get on Windows. Windows is *not* a software distribution. You get the latest versions of all your software from the vendor of that software. On Debian (and of course virtually any other Linux distro) you get the software from Debian (or repo from the distro you're using.)
          I was going to write something similar to that, but you beat me to it.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Have you been using the experimental, unstable, bleeding edge version of Windows? Or the stable, released, and supported version.

You can still backport select applications that NEED to be more current (I do this with firefox), but you don't need to upgrade your bootloader, compiler, C library and shell every week. If you want a stable product, you must let it stabilise instead of throwing untested stuff into the mix for fun.

Some people misunderstand: Debian unstable, Fedora, Ubuntu etc. are not meant to be stable. They are meant to be unstable. If you run them, you must accept this. They are sanitized snapshots with modern software. The stable releases are the long-term support releases, and they ARE stable.
          Yes, I have been using the latest and greatest software on Windows, but not the testing/unstable equivalent of the underlying system (the actual "Windows software"), which you are referring to.
          The problem is that there is no easy/hassle-free way to do that on GNU/Linux. Either you use something like backports, which doesn't even have all the packages you need, or you compile all your software from source.

There isn't a good way to install software on a per-user basis either...
          It's either system-wide or back to compiling from source.

Preferrably, all my software would be up-to-date while the underlying system (grub/bootloader, initd/systemd, xserver, admin tools, audioserver, desktop manager, etc.) can be as stable and old as hell.

I guess I want to have, and eat my cake at the same time .

I'm open to any suggestions.

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          I have used Windows since before it was windows. I have had Windows do neat things to MBR's trust me. Of course to suffer threw the hell fuck that is Windows, it may have caused memory loss.
          Well, I meant in relation to using GNU/Linux . I have been using Windows OS' from 95 (good 'ol BSOD, hah) up until Windows 7, I don't plan buying 8 or even trying it.
          Last edited by j2723; 12 January 2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X