X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Agreed, slax is a bit on the pointless side these days, then again, so are 95% of all other actively maintained distros. Even DSL is losing its novelty because while it is impressively small, people don't own 64MB flash drives anymore (or even 256).
    I slightly disagree with the both of you. For me, Linux has always been the system that can be modified to run on aging systems, yet provide support for today's current (web) standards.

Since my parents did not want Gentoo on this machine, I had to resort to Ubuntu. (They caught me tweaking on Gentoo for days!)

If a light distro based on Ubuntu would exist, which contained VLC, Libreoffice, Chromium and Claws-mail then I would switch over. These 4 critical pieces of software are a base requirements for my parents to properly use this computer.

However, Ubuntu is pretty well supported. And the LTS make it really nice if you look at support 'costs'. Although I'm still looking for a lightweight distro. Why? Because Ubuntu packs stuff such as Apparmor, a lot of unnecessary daemons, apport, plymouth and ufw. These components are not necessary to drive a PC used for browsing and e-mailing.

I think that as time progresses, a nice niche for lightweight distro's will become more apparent. And I think that Linux will really shine in that specific aspect.
    Last edited by Rexilion; 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM. Reason: Grammar...

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    I wonder who cares about it, minimalistic masochism would have made sense 5-10 years ago.
    Agreed, slax is a bit on the pointless side these days, then again, so are 95% of all other actively maintained distros. Even DSL is losing its novelty because while it is impressively small, people don't own 64MB flash drives anymore (or even 256).

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    I wonder who cares about it, minimalistic masochism would have made sense 5-10 years ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X