Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" Alpha 1 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" Alpha 1 Released

The first alpha release of the Ubuntu 13.04 family, the Linux distribution release that's codenamed "Raring Ringtail" and will be officially released in April, was unveiled on Thursday. Due to a revised schedule, it's not Ubuntu itself seeing an official alpha today but rather some of the derivatives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cinnamon

The best thing with 13.04 is that it has Cinnamon in the repository.
    So you can use that instead of the slow, bloated, Unity adware/spyware.

Comment

watcha talking about spyware ?????

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        watcha talking about spyware ?????

http://youtu.be/hwzG1n05p0I
        Yes, everything I search on my computer, it sends to third parties such as Amazon.
        To me that is spyware.

Also it displays advertisment from Amazon. To me that is adware.

Comment

Ubuntu SDK

Fellow developers, please don't dare to use the Ubuntu SDK once it is released. It is just another step towards a strict separation of Ubuntu and GNU/Linux.
          If you want to represent the interests of the entire Linux-community, you should not use Ubuntu-specific-SDK's.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            The best thing with 13.04 is that it has Cinnamon in the repository.
            So you can use that instead of the slow, bloated, Unity adware/spyware.
            uid313 is too stupid and cannot disable online searches or remove the shopping lens package.
            Also, Cinnamon is bloated (like any other DE that "should" be used with a WM that forces you to use compositing).

Originally posted by frign View Post
            Fellow developers, please don't dare to use the Ubuntu SDK once it is released. It is just another step towards a strict separation of Ubuntu and GNU/Linux.
            If you want to represent the interests of the entire Linux-community, you should not use Ubuntu-specific-SDK's.
            Yeah, let's all use random distros noone uses, or Harsh Linux! Pasting 50 commands to install (read: break) an OS is fun!
            Last edited by Calinou; 06 December 2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

frankly I think that's a non issue... in 10 seconds you can turn off the dash amazon search and delete the amazon icon on the taskbar.

IMO this is a stupid way with which canonical decided to monetize ubuntu.

Had they delivered a solid experience like elementary they would in no way need to resort to being amazon's little bitch as they would have a huge number of people using their OS.

I have been using the alpha for a few hours now ...I'm new to ubuntu.

In elementary in 5 minutes I pretty much fell in love with the UI and design etc... gnome3 I feel it creates some attrition and rubs me in the wrong ways sometimes but I can get used to it .... especially with the use of numerous extensions and a decent theme, it can become acceptable.

unity... :/ I don't like the os x thing of having the upper task bar as part of the app interface... I don't really like the orange icons, orange all around ...

I don't know how to explain it, but the overall feel is :/

they really DESPERATELY need a better UI

Yes, everything I search on my computer, it sends to third parties such as Amazon.
              To me that is spyware.

Also it displays advertisment from Amazon. To me that is adware.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                uid313 is too stupid and cannot disable online searches or remove the shopping lens package.
                No, I know exactly how to disable online searches or remove the shopping lens package.

But I don't want to use Unity because it is bad and stupid and annoying, even if I disable the adware/spyware.

Comment

But I don't want to use Unity because it is bad and stupid and annoying, even if I disable the adware/spyware.
                  yeah i know what how you feel. i am lucky i got rid of taskbar, and start-menu kinda application menues because it is bad and stupid and annoying.

oh wait... they are actually for me annoying because i hear some people like this annoying and stupid old days de concept. funny how for one person one de concept is annyoing and the other ideal and for the other person it is the exact opposite. good that we all learned in the age of 5 years to look over our restricted horizont, didn't we?

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                    yeah i know what how you feel. i am lucky i got rid of taskbar, and start-menu kinda application menues because it is bad and stupid and annoying.

oh wait... they are actually for me annoying because i hear some people like this annoying and stupid old days de concept. funny how for one person one de concept is annyoing and the other ideal and for the other person it is the exact opposite. good that we all learned in the age of 5 years to look over our restricted horizont, didn't we?
                    I am sure Unity is great for you, soccer moms, grandpa and other people who use a computer with just one application open namely the web browser, probably on Facebook.

But there are people who use their computers for multitasking, then Unity is not good.

I am also sure there are people who appreciate Amazon advertisments in Unity, the same people who befriend Nigerian princes.

Comment

Working...
                    X