Debian Switches Back To GNOME From Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Are there any people in the open source community who are not idiots, according to your judgment?

I'm curious, because you seem to be on a bit of a roll recently
    He's a troll and the only idiots are the ones who reply to him.

Comment

I love it how people say that Gnome3 is 'shit' and at the same time not giving one reason why it's 'shit'.

Well, you may not like it, that's your own fault, sucks to be you. Gnome 3 is brilliant. It doesn't matter if you want to only use your keyboard or only use your mouse or use both, in all cases you can control the entire DE.

Oh, but please stop comparing Gnome 3 to that stupid, commercial, data selling whore they call Unity. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
        I didn't expect this to be reported here, so nice surprise!

I do expect Debian to switch the default soon again, as Debian runs on way more platforms than GNOME 3 will be able to properly run on (the no fallback mode).
        The Phoronix article is wrong here. Debian is going to be using Gnome 3.4 with bugfixes backported from newer versions for the next release. This is because Wheezy has been frozen for 4 months now. This is yet another bullet dodged by using Debian. Gnome's fallback works just fine in Debian. It'll be years before Debian users have to deal with the problem of having no fallback for Gnome.... and by then everybody will likely be using Wayland anyway and have bigger problems to worry about.
        Last edited by Sidicas; 10 November 2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Yes I am not pleased with these idiots running my desktop into the ground. Both Gnome3 and Unity are shit. And I did try to use them for a while. They are shit! Also I hate that wayland stuff that will probably break my desktop more often than X does. And also I fucking hate both eclipse and netbeans for making my life harder than it should be when writing code! They can't get a fucking text editor right next thing I'll find out is that they have problems writing a fucking hello world program!!!! And windows 8 is so shitty I don't know even where to beagin swearing at it! For a second I thought it's gonna be a good year for linux after seeing how retarded Microsoft got in the past few years, but nooo, linux is also full of idiots, the difference being microsoft at least is rich!
          If you sit on the same technology, you will slowly lose marketshare. I don't see many people still using motif or KDE3 anymore. If you take huge risks and develop new technology (gnome3, Unity, Plasma Active, etc.) then there is great opportunity to be a pioneer rather than a follower. It's impossible to gain any marketshare as a follower because everything you do, has pretty much been done before by other software. That makes your software uninteresting to end-users. So they simply don't care enough to make the switch, and it's even more of a barrier when your OS is less user friendly than the alternatives.

Comment

I don't give reasons? I've listed them many times but here's one for you: Why the hell do I have to go to a corner and then click an application to switch to it ? Didn't I have the taskbar for that? And don't go bullshit me with those shitty extensions that add a crappy taskbar that looks like shit and doesn't work.
            oh, if that is one of your major issues with gnome shell then there is no reason to be scared.

p.s. alt-tab is your friend. and beside of that, previously you had to go to a border and click the application, now you have to go to a corner and click the application. a trmordous big difference. i feel for you.......

p.p.s. i like your nick name. it makes very clear with whom i am writing here. quite amusing.

Comment

Also I hate that wayland stuff that will probably break my desktop more often than X does.
              So you're passing judgement on a technology that you haven't used?

p.s. alt-tab is your friend. and beside of that, previously you had to go to a border and click the application, now you have to go to a corner and click the application. a trmordous big difference. i feel for you......
              It's amazing how much hate people have for different DEs, to the point where they see the rather minor differences between them as vast gulfs. I'm not a massive fan of KDE, but I don't really feel the need to go on the internet to slag it off, and call people who do prefer it idiots. 'Linux community' is an oxymoron.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                I love it how people say that Gnome3 is 'shit' and at the same time not giving one reason why it's 'shit'.

Well, you may not like it, that's your own fault, sucks to be you. Gnome 3 is brilliant. It doesn't matter if you want to only use your keyboard or only use your mouse or use both, in all cases you can control the entire DE.

Oh, but please stop comparing Gnome 3 to that stupid, commercial, data selling whore they call Unity. Thanks.
                Oh, you were doing so well, and then you go and do to Unity the same you're accusing others of doing to Gnome 3. Tsch, tsch...

Comment

You guys should cool down and try to put more wisom in your life. You can never go wrong with more wisdom.

Comment

Doesn't the recent gnome require systemd to be functional? How are they going to get around that?

Comment

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
                      Doesn't the recent gnome require systemd to be functional? How are they going to get around that?
                      The dependency on systemd is increasing for sure. Debian can change the default in the future if they feel like. Having gnome as default covers whezzy for now. The future is unclear. Gnome will for sure end up being tied to systemd. So in reality it is not gnome which need to be accepted as default but systemd.

Systemd is linux only and is not default at Ubuntu so nothing is future proof.

Comment

Working...
                      X