Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    You are the regression.
    Your scriptkiddie c/p skillz just didnt cut it.
    Please fix your shit instead of crapping all over phoronix because you lack talent.
    Oh look who's talking. Possibly one of the developers responsible for that mess.
    Funny enough most of the forums of the major distributions are full of people who have issues with systemd.
    Maybe there is one new development going on, that you just missed: People want to actually USE their system, not deal with annoying scripts and config files. If a boot manager is not able to bring up a system including nfs-fileshares "out of the box" then it's simply broken. Face it.

To be honest: your communication skills just don't cut it. I'm out of this thread.
    btw: Is this the way phoronix wants people to comment here? I'll be back right after improving my abuse-skills.

Comment

Originally posted by smartysmart34 View Post
      Right. Like I am currently upgrading from Suse 11.4 to 12.2 and now have to deal with systemd. This thing is not even able to correctly automount a nfs-mount out of fstab without cheating it. It tries to mount while the network isn't up and then I end up without the directories. I have to mount manually after logging in.
      I've seen systems presenting a login prompt without a login beeing possible unless you wait for 5 seconds until network authentification was working.
      To me systemd is dead on arrival. A major regression to be removed from the system.
      What's the use of a system that boots within 10 seconds but is only partially functional afterwards?

Regards,
      Martin
      The issue here is that your upgrade did not go well. 12.2 does not have an issue with mounting NFS on a clean install. In fact I was the original bug poster on your very issue on Novells bug tracker. The other option is that you still can just install the sysvinit-init package if you want to revert to sysvinit. It is as simple as that (or a clean install would also work).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        The issue here is that your upgrade did not go well. 12.2 does not have an issue with mounting NFS on a clean install. In fact I was the original bug poster on your very issue on Novells bug tracker. The other option is that you still can just install the sysvinit-init package if you want to revert to sysvinit. It is as simple as that (or a clean install would also work).
        Hm. So there is no way to fix systemd to actually mount the shares without a reinstall? That's sad.

I see 2 packages: sysvinit and sysvinit-init. Are you saying I only need the second of these?
        Will it activate all the init-scripts that were available in my old installation "Pre-Upgrade"?

Can I afterwards uninstall systemd? Or do I still need it?
        And will everything that is now started by systemd then be started by sysvinit?

Kind regards,
        Martin

Comment

I see 2 packages: sysvinit and sysvinit-init. Are you saying I only need the second of these?
          Will it activate all the init-scripts that were available in my old installation "Pre-Upgrade"?

Thats nice. Finally you trade in some ego for willingness to actally learn stuff. Great progress. Eventaully you will learn systemd is perfectly able to handle your old shit. And in months time you will love it and flame ignorants yourself.

Godspeed!

Comment

It may be a disappointment for you but I never flame people for not agreeing to my opinion.
            I was curious and wanted to see whether you ever provided actual help to anybody in this forum but it seems your main mission is to offend people with rude posts. It's a shame your status here is "Phoronix Member".

Comment

Hm. So there is no way to fix systemd to actually mount the shares without a reinstall? That's sad.

Kind regards,
              Martin
              Maybe old init scripts are the source of the problem. The mounting should not be done via init scripts (they still get executed by systemd if present!), but by entries in fstab.
              My suggestions is to first check if old init scripts are the problem, before completely removing systemd. It's really the better way to boot.

Comment

Kind regards,
                Martin
                IIRC selecting sysvinit-init will autoselect sysvinit as well. Also, I'm not sure if you are using Grub 1 or 2 but if you are still using Grub 1 you should have a choice of the init system that you want to use to boot up (IIRC I think it is the F5 key). That way you don't have to play around with installing and uninstalling packages to test.

I don't think it will allow you to uninstall systemd as it is a listed package in the base pattern. I had the same problems as you did with an upgrade from 11.4 to 12.1. After a few months of fighting it (and the developers unable to replicate it) I decided to do just a clean install and it fixed itself (kept the home paritions intact). Now I can easily have my NFS servers (v3 and 4) available without the boot process trying to mount before the network is up.

Out of curiosity, if you go into YaST partitioner does it show double entries in the list of nfs mounts?

Comment

I never used init-scripts for the nfs-mounts but only configured them via fstab.
                  So there shouldn't be an issue with initscripts.
                  I'm still on Grub v1.
                  No, the partitioner in YAST only shows the nfs-mounts once.

There is a thread in the opensuse forums that indicates that nfs mounts with systemd are not working by default because - according to them - systemd tries to mount fstab entries (including nfs) before network is available...

Comment

I never used init-scripts for the nfs-mounts but only configured them via fstab.
                    So there shouldn't be an issue with initscripts.
                    I'm still on Grub v1.
                    No, the partitioner in YAST only shows the nfs-mounts once.

There is a thread in the opensuse forums that indicates that nfs mounts with systemd are not working by default because - according to them - systemd tries to mount fstab entries (including nfs) before network is available...

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...king-boot.html
                    Next question..... NFS3 or NFS4? If NFS v3 then try adding _netdev to your fstab mount parameters. Example:

192.168.1.201:/local/2000-4 /local/2000-4 nfs _netdev,defaults 0 0

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Next question..... NFS3 or NFS4? If NFS v3 then try adding _netdev to your fstab mount parameters. Example:
                      Hmmmm. Good question.
                      Yast says: nfs-kernel-server and gives a version 1.2.3-11.16.1
                      The description of the package nfsidmap says: NFSv4 ID Mapping Library.

So I assume it's NFS4?

According to your proposal tha _netdev option does not apply for v4?

Regards,
                      Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X