No announcement yet.

Arch 2012.11.01 Switches To Linux 3.6 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here we go again with the pure ignorance wielded by someone who has so many posts in here that the combination will actually blow off your mind and compress down to a single black hole.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Still no installer that can set you up with a desktop?
    So you want to take the control away from the user in a system that doesn't allow taking control away from the user? Or at least to have it as an option? No. That's not the point of Arch, it has never been the point of Arch and it never _will_ be the point of Arch.

When you use Arch you have to posses skills beyond just updating your system with a graphical tool. Since the whole thing is a fully rolling release you need to be able to manage it so you have to _understand_ it. This is one of the benefits with forcing the user to go all the way up from the console with nothing but the very basics like network and the package manager. In addition you get a system that is completely _your_ system.

There are things that automate (or at least help in it) the installation but using them is so discouraged that not in a lot of places do you get to hear from them.

The people who ask these questions don't understand the whole point of this system.

Any other rolling release distros out there that actually can be installed by mere mortals?
    Yes..? Depending on your definition of a rolling release. PCLOS, Sabayon, Chakra, SUSE with Factory enabled are some of these things.

We have WikiPedia for a reason too.

Comment

Any other rolling release distros out there that actually can be installed by mere mortals?
      openSUSE Tumbleweed ( http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed )

Just install a release of openSUSE and replace the repositories for openSUSE 12.x with the Tumbleweed ones to get rolling updates/upgrades.

/Edit:
      Replacing the repositories can be done via a one-click-install, so it comes down to install a normal release and click on a link
      Last edited by droste; 02 November 2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
        And here we go again with the pure ignorance wielded by someone who has so many posts in here that the combination will actually blow off your mind and compress down to a single black hole.
        All is fine until the fanboi parade arrives.

Comment

I hardly would call this news - although that may be biased since i use Archlinux.

What would have made a better article is reporting a slight hitch that made it onto this iso;

Originally posted by Archlinux mailing list
          On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Pierre Schmitz <[email protected]> wrote:
          > turns out there was an issue with Linux 3.6.4 on some AMD systems with
          > more than 4GB of RAM. 3.6.5 fixed this bug. Unfortunately this was a
          > little too late for the recent ISO image.

>
          > I was wondering what was the best way to handle issues like this.

Maybe in this case it is not worth it, but in principle we could just
          push a new version (not changing anything but bumping the kernel
          version).
          anyway, it sounds like it should be fixed soon, if not already since kernel 3.6.5 fixes the issue.

I'm also surprised Michael didn't bother reporting that The alpha program for LightWorks (video-editor) began a few days ago ~ with a very small list (200-250 people) of participants (i'm one of them). I was also able to get LW to work in Archlinux (aside from in Ubuntu). It surely would have made a more exciting article and probably would have produced more comments/clicks that this plain article.

@RealNC

Archlinux is easy to install. If you can follow a recipe and cook up some dinner, then you can install Archlinux (ie: it's not very hard at all). An Arch install usually takes just a few minutes to configure, then you wait until it is finished, reboot and finally start installing your DE/apps/etc.

easy stuff.
          Last edited by ninez; 03 November 2012, 04:02 AM.

Comment

So their installer ships with the recently publicized ext4 corruption bug? 3.6.6 with that fix is not out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              So their installer ships with the recently publicized ext4 corruption bug? 3.6.6 with that fix is not out yet.
              If you haven't been hit by that bug, then i wouldn't worry about it. Everything i have read on the subject, says it's pretty hard to trigger and i have been using 3.6.x without any problems (on my i7 machine)~ while on my AMD phenom II x4, last week i had been doing (many) repeated reboots with kernels that i was testing (which was 3.6.1-4). ~ no data loss

plus, i am quite sure they will be updating the ISO with the fix, when it is available.

Comment

All is fine until the fanboi parade arrives.
                So why did you?

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                The one you'll never encounter anyway, yes.

E: Also, linux-lts is still on 3.0(.49/50), so you don't have to hold everyone back for the sake of a single person's paranoidism.
                Last edited by ArchLinux; 03 November 2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post

Archlinux is easy to install. If you can follow a recipe and cook up some dinner, then you can install Archlinux (ie: it's not very hard at all). An Arch install usually takes just a few minutes to configure, then you wait until it is finished, reboot and finally start installing your DE/apps/etc.

easy stuff.
                  I won't know about that. Personal experience was that the installation is anything but straightforward even with a copy of the Beginner's Guide sitting right next to be on my smartphone.

I remember trying to install X and the intel drivers after going through the installation process and pacman failed with a message about how the intel driver conflicts with some other package and won't be installed, thus leaving me with nothing but a VESA driver. And that was a good enough reason to dump it for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    I won't know about that. Personal experience was that the installation is anything but straightforward even with a copy of the Beginner's Guide sitting right next to be on my smartphone.
                    No one you know likes eating anything that you've cooked too, right?

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    I remember trying to install X and the intel drivers after going through the installation process and pacman failed with a message about how the intel driver conflicts with some other package and won't be installed, thus leaving me with nothing but a VESA driver. And that was a good enough reason to dump it for Windows.
                    That's funny. Your problem sounded like it was simple to fix (and may have even been caused by human error). But the funnier part is your expectation of Archlinux ~ Clearly, it's not the distribution for you when you can't even solve a conflict or are confronted with having to do something yourself to resolve a problem. ie: manual intervention - and there is nothing wrong with that, you obviously need a lot of 'hand-holding', so sticking with Windows is probably better for you.

but for people whom want a self-tailored operating system (you install what you want - no more, no less), bleeding-edge / rolling release, great repos (including AUR) and the benefits of a meta+source based distro, while also being willing to learn/know how their system works while also being willing/able to maintain/manage their system, then Archlinux is a very nice fit.

to each their own.

cheerz

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                      You might be interested in Manjaro Linux. Or Archbang Linux. I'd mention Chakra too, but you might not be that much of a KDE fan(only available DE there).
                      All rolling, very recent packages. The first too are pretty much Arch, but a bit pre-configured you could say. They both get you a desktop after install.
                      There's likely more, but I don't remember now. I think Manjaro have their own repos and do a little bit more testing than Arch(but it's still bleeding edge).
                      Archbang is OK, but not Chackra, if you want to stick to archlinux (chackra's now have their own repository).

OOT: carefull when updated to newest archlinux when using atheros wifi adapter cause as of this week, mine have a problem (dunno if it's cause of networkmanager or from the kernel, didn't investigate). YMMV.
                      Last edited by t.s.; 03 November 2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X