Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 Isn't Looking Too Good, Anaconda Problems

Phoronix: Fedora 18 Isn't Looking Too Good, Anaconda Problems

The release of Fedora 18 has already been delayed five times and it's still uncertain when this next Fedora Linux release will actually ship...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing new, Fedora must target less new features. Don't byte off more than you can chew, end of story.

Comment

IMO 6 month release schedules are just silly in the first place, I wish fedora (and ubuntu) would consider having longer time between releases, and more post-release updates/support for existing releases.

Comment

On the bright side, while Anaconda holds the release the distribution packages actually get into shape. I've been using Fedora 18 and it's rock solid so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          IMO 6 month release schedules are just silly in the first place, I wish fedora (and ubuntu) would consider having longer time between releases, and more post-release updates/support for existing releases.
          This is exactly what Canonical and Red Hat do with Ubuntu LTS and RHEL. Things are often backported to the LTS/RHEL releases. You don't have to use the newest Fedora/Ubuntu... that's your own choice :P

Comment

Will be interesting to see if Red Hat will put this new anaconda installer also onto RHEL 7. Maybe that's the reason why they hurry this anaconda revamp into Fedora 18. It's likely that RHEL 7 will be based on F18. I read that somewhere but have no idea if this was rumor or for sure.

Comment

Is this similar to the issues openSUSE were having post 12.1? They started slipping behind schedules and it eventually led to some soul searching, and then procedural changes within the distro's release management.

Comment

Originally posted by Newfie View Post
                This is exactly what Canonical and Red Hat do with Ubuntu LTS and RHEL. Things are often backported to the LTS/RHEL releases. You don't have to use the newest Fedora/Ubuntu... that's your own choice :P
                They need to further though, using ubuntu as an example, their LTS releases are too slow with he hardware enablement updates, and you often get stuck with old software, having to use a bunch of ppa's to keep things up to date.

For example I have ivybridge graphics, so ubuntu 12.04 isn't really an option with its old kernel/drivers. At least fedora is usually decent about updating those.
                Last edited by bwat47; 31 October 2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Anaconda problems?

That's what she said

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Na na na na na naaaa Fedora is going to shit. Ubuntu is the king! Fedora is clearly inferior to Ubuntu and less usable. Now they can't even ship. Good times for debian though... I always felt there were too many distributions. At least 90 percent of them should just die and the devs put effort in the few viable ones. Too many people doing the same thing.
                    Ubuntu is based on Debian and Debian developers are retards.
                    SecurityBob writes "Debian package maintainers tend to very often modify the source code of the package they are maintaining so that it better fits into the distribution itself. However, most of the time, their changes are not sent back to upstream for validation, which might cause some tension betw...

Comment

Working...
                    X