Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figueiredo
    replied
    If you are that kind of zealot you should be pretty happy running those distros you have to compile everything for yourself and verifying every line of code for potential info stealing malware. I don't think you might be the target user of ubuntu though...

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    And which of the three tickboxes does Netflix fill? All three perhaps?

Crippled mobile MS Office will certainly beat a native LibreOffice or the full MS Office in Wine. Not.

Office is a bad example, because that's emulation either way, so you're only picking between the full version and a crippled, touch-enabled version.

Leave a comment:

• Figueiredo
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Android apps on Ubuntu will certainly make sense for tablets, to make U there a better proposition for Joe Public, but for desktops I don't see a point.

There are no useful mobile "apps". So you want fart/flashlight apps for your desktop?

Then there's the small fact that statistically every "app" has one or more of

a) ads
    b) malware
    c) steals your data on purpose

Yay! We obviously want that on our desktops!
    Well I certainly want Netflix. Many people would appreciate the AutoCAD version even if not the full desktop version. Obviously we don't need flashlight or fart apps, but android has some pretty interesting apps that would be a great addition to the ubuntu platform. I believe MS said that some sort of Office is coming to android, so think about that.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Android apps on Ubuntu will certainly make sense for tablets, to make U there a better proposition for Joe Public, but for desktops I don't see a point.

There are no useful mobile "apps". So you want fart/flashlight apps for your desktop?

Then there's the small fact that statistically every "app" has one or more of

a) ads
    b) malware
    c) steals your data on purpose

Yay! We obviously want that on our desktops!

Leave a comment:

• Figueiredo
    replied
    If someone in canonical has half a brain, they are working in making android apps run in ubuntu. They have already shown that with the ubuntu for android demonstrations. AMD is lauching tablets with windows 8 runing android apps, so it must not be that far away.

Ubuntu should become a really great platform if it spans across every device (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop and tv) and allows the user to manage his experience (install apps, customize background, etc) from a single device, so that you have everything you need in whichever ubuntu device you synch to your account. Obviously UbuntuOne should play a big role in this.

I believe ubuntu could challenge android if it is able to offer a similar experience in mobile but also in other devices and provide the god damn updates that google can't make their partners do. I wonder if it would be possible for canonical to work closely with the OEMs and help them mainline the code for their devices, or keeping a "ubuntu" branch of the kernel with the code for every device, so that users would receive the updates from canonical and not have to worry if the device manufacturers will be able to provide updates. If this is possible, i believe it would become a really compelling platform, since it would share android's ecosystem without the fragmentation. Win for users and win for developers.

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Most features are born in a private branch. This is no different, except this time you know about it from the start.
    Yea. Still this is craptastic news. So much for open..

Linux news have been nothing but shit lately. Shuttleworth is going maniac, KDE is still a steaming pile of booboo tardware, and Fedora is delayed.

Will a late but usable Fedora release save 2012? I hope!

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    This is not in the spirit of open source and open governance.

Canonical to develope stuff in the private.
    Most features are born in a private branch. This is no different, except this time you know about it from the start.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Bad

This is not in the spirit of open source and open governance.

Canonical to develope stuff in the private. In addition to already developing closed source software such as Ubuntu One. Also with 12.10 there is adware/spyware/nsfw in Unity.

I used to love Ubuntu, but now I find myself trusting it less and less.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @Paradox Uncreated

Why don't get a 120 Hz monitor and just do:
    Code:
    sed -i s/60/120/g neo/framework/UsercmdGen.h

Leave a comment:

• Malizor
    replied
    Good

The title is misleading.
    It should rather be "Canonical to involve community in its projects".

"Private feature-developpement" is really not new or even specific to Ubuntu/Canonical. Most developers do this (you work on something privately and you advertise it when you think it is ready).

They probably learned from the Unity shopping lens fiasco that early community input can be actually good (in this case they could have avoided unnecessary FUD by dealing with privacy concerns before landing the feature).
    So this is definitely a step in the good direction.
    Last edited by Malizor; 19 October 2012, 06:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X