Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical To Develop Some Ubuntu Features In Private

Phoronix: Canonical To Develop Some Ubuntu Features In Private

Some features of Ubuntu 13.04 won't be openly developed by the Ubuntu Linux community but rather in a more covert approach by Canonical and select Ubuntu developers. Mark Shuttleworth calls these new features "some sexy 13.04 surprises" but he was sure to reinforce that the overall Ubuntu Linux development approach isn't changing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Frameloss is for lamers.

Framerate addict Well I have done a lot of work on that, and sent them some emails. Hopefully they will listen.

I am finding small stuff all the time though, so all those eventually add up. Latest is "idle=poll" bootoption, which also reduces jitter. Doom 3 now here runs so smooth, that characters seem a bit rigid (constantly smooth moving), and one expects more of them. My theory of low-jitter incresases expectations to quality, seem right. Also some scenes seem a bit dated, and you can tell they weren`t on a low-jitter OS to begin with. Some stuff still works great though, such as surprise/humour element, when suddently being dropped into a chamber with zombies.

Also with finely controlled granuality for jitter-levels tuned to "natural", immersion becomes so strong in the game, that some scenes become distasteful, such as some doom-style horror/humour stuff.

HL2 with low-jitter seems a bit more modern, since their physics stuff, seem more realistic.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

How will this work? Will 13.04 alphas and betas be released without the said features only to have them dumped on us on release day?

Comment

I hope his definition of "sexy surprise" does not match with those of Bill....

Comment

Good

The title is misleading.
          It should rather be "Canonical to involve community in its projects".

"Private feature-developpement" is really not new or even specific to Ubuntu/Canonical. Most developers do this (you work on something privately and you advertise it when you think it is ready).

They probably learned from the Unity shopping lens fiasco that early community input can be actually good (in this case they could have avoided unnecessary FUD by dealing with privacy concerns before landing the feature).
          So this is definitely a step in the good direction.
          Last edited by Malizor; 19 October 2012, 06:22 AM.

Comment

@Paradox Uncreated

Why don't get a 120 Hz monitor and just do:
            Code:
            sed -i s/60/120/g neo/framework/UsercmdGen.h

Comment

Bad

This is not in the spirit of open source and open governance.

Canonical to develope stuff in the private. In addition to already developing closed source software such as Ubuntu One. Also with 12.10 there is adware/spyware/nsfw in Unity.

I used to love Ubuntu, but now I find myself trusting it less and less.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                This is not in the spirit of open source and open governance.

Canonical to develope stuff in the private.
                Most features are born in a private branch. This is no different, except this time you know about it from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Most features are born in a private branch. This is no different, except this time you know about it from the start.
                  Yea. Still this is craptastic news. So much for open..

Linux news have been nothing but shit lately. Shuttleworth is going maniac, KDE is still a steaming pile of booboo tardware, and Fedora is delayed.

Will a late but usable Fedora release save 2012? I hope!

Comment

If someone in canonical has half a brain, they are working in making android apps run in ubuntu. They have already shown that with the ubuntu for android demonstrations. AMD is lauching tablets with windows 8 runing android apps, so it must not be that far away.

Ubuntu should become a really great platform if it spans across every device (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop and tv) and allows the user to manage his experience (install apps, customize background, etc) from a single device, so that you have everything you need in whichever ubuntu device you synch to your account. Obviously UbuntuOne should play a big role in this.

I believe ubuntu could challenge android if it is able to offer a similar experience in mobile but also in other devices and provide the god damn updates that google can't make their partners do. I wonder if it would be possible for canonical to work closely with the OEMs and help them mainline the code for their devices, or keeping a "ubuntu" branch of the kernel with the code for every device, so that users would receive the updates from canonical and not have to worry if the device manufacturers will be able to provide updates. If this is possible, i believe it would become a really compelling platform, since it would share android's ecosystem without the fragmentation. Win for users and win for developers.

Comment

Working...
                    X