Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland/Weston 0.99 Is Out, 1.0 Next Monday

Phoronix: Wayland/Weston 0.99 Is Out, 1.0 Next Monday

Wayland v0.99.0 was released yesterday evening along with a matching version of the reference Weston compositor. The planned Wayland 1.0 release is penciled in for next week Monday, 22 October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Due to the last minute API breakage, he's letting the 0.99.0 snapshots bake for a week
    One week seems a bit on the short side.

Comment

I hope this announcement will get all the top end graphics hackers take a look at it and see if something is wrong.

Comment

Cool, can't wait for the first official release. It also means we'll soon be able to see how good(or bad) Wayland really is, and I have a bit of a good feeling of course.
        It should only get easier to test/see it from first hand from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
          Cool, can't wait for the first official release. It also means we'll soon be able to see how good(or bad) Wayland really is, and I have a bit of a good feeling of course.
          It should only get easier to test/see it from first hand from now on.
          Its the desktop guys that "hold it back" and some basic apps of course (ie. firefox). Hope that after the official release we'll see a full desktop in a few months time.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Its the desktop guys that "hold it back" and some basic apps of course (ie. firefox). Hope that after the official release we'll see a full desktop in a few months time.
            As the article already states: Wayland is far from being usable. The 1.0 release means only stability regarding to APIs. Up until now Wayland was too much of a moving target for other developers to port to it.

IMO modifying applications and its toolkits to look reasonable on retina displays is a more important goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              As the article already states: Wayland is far from being usable. The 1.0 release means only stability regarding to APIs. Up until now Wayland was too much of a moving target for other developers to port to it.

IMO modifying applications and its toolkits to look reasonable on retina displays is a more important goal.
              Hmmmm.

Are there things missing in the protocol for writing a full featured compositor or its just weston thats not feature full? I was under the impression that only the text stuff were not ready yet.

Comment

Weston is like an "example" compositor from my understanding. It's not excactly meant to be used by DE's etc(unless they choose to). Possibly will likely have more usage like twm, as fallback/test that the windowing system works, rather than desktop use. Can someone who knows better confirm.

But yeah, with 1.0 release and API stability, it should start to be targeted by more for compatibility(as mentioned). ^_^

Comment

good good

xorg needs to die, die and be cremated and forgotten for it was written in the language of c+fail

wayland will usher in the age of redemption for linux. I can picture it right now:

fedora 19 with kernel 4.3 and wayland and btrfs and arm and lack of aids.

hopefully by that time the gnome fags will realize no one is gonna put their shit on a smartphone/tablet and will get a clue.

"IMO modifying applications and its toolkits to look reasonable on retina displays is a more important goal. "

IMO no one cares about your homosexuality or your apple products

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                    good good

xorg needs to die, die and be cremated and forgotten for it was written in the language of c+fail

wayland will usher in the age of redemption for linux. I can picture it right now:

fedora 19 with kernel 4.3 and wayland and btrfs and arm and lack of aids.

hopefully by that time the gnome fags will realize no one is gonna put their shit on a smartphone/tablet and will get a clue.

"IMO modifying applications and its toolkits to look reasonable on retina displays is a more important goal. "

IMO no one cares about your homosexuality or your apple products

Wait wait... Kernel 4.3 within around a year and a half? 0_o

Comment

Working...
                    X