Wayland/Weston 0.99 Is Out, 1.0 Next Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Why are you guys talking about Apple? Several manufacturers have announced laptops with retina displays, eg Samsung: http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-shows-o...12-7000003588/
    As of today only parts of a typical Linux GUI stack actually works with that many DPI without looking blurry.

PS: If you guys are bitching because I used the term ?retina display?, just go and die. No way I will ever use ?High Density Wide Quad High Definition display? (or something like that) to describe the same thing.
    Once hi-DPI displays are more common linux and the stack will adapt. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

this annoys me immensely, pro video editors and other have been using resolutions like 2500x1400 or sum shit FOR YEARS NOW... you could have bought a monitor with that resolution if you wanted... yet when apple simply renames really high definitions or extreme definitions or whatefuckever every appletard is like "oh my retinas... ... oh my vaginas"

btw 4K is going to be the defacto standard for hi def in a couple of years so who cares about your crappy retinas

Comment

This is great! Wayland is an experiment, lets see how it pans out... It seems that toolkit support is coming along nicely, at least kwin is planning support for it. The odds are good.

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        this annoys me immensely, pro video editors and other have been using resolutions like 2500x1400 or sum shit FOR YEARS NOW... you could have bought a monitor with that resolution if you wanted... yet when apple simply renames really high definitions or extreme definitions or whatefuckever every appletard is like "oh my retinas... ... oh my vaginas"

btw 4K is going to be the defacto standard for hi def in a couple of years so who cares about your crappy retinas
        Yes, high res displays have been available for a long time. However, high DPI displays have been hard to find.
        Apple has the muscle to make them mainstream, and I for one am glad of it.

Serafean

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Once hi-DPI displays are more common linux and the stack will adapt. Nothing to worry about.
          The problem is that AFAIK nobody is caring about adapting the stack. To quote Phoronox? own test of Linux on such a device:
          ?Unity, GNOME Shell, and KDE desktops all looked like shit at 2880 x 1800 on the Retina MacBook Pro. The text was difficult to read and even when toying around with different scaling factors, the text ended up looking awkward in relation to icons and other visuals.?

Everybody is acting as if porting to Wayland was the more pressing issue. Wayland itself will need a year or so to mature. Retina displays are on the market right now and other vendors will soon follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
            I wish, but vehicle will you use to deliver 4k to everybody? Unless the techology gets a breakthrough, I'd say we're looking at a couple of decades. Also, don't forget there's a whole industry waiting to shove all kinds of DRM in there, before it hits the masses.

Comment

can we guys shut up and focus on wayland instead of hating apple. hate is not gonna make x.org stop crashing and eating all the open windows or KMS crashing the kernel or nouveau stop blowing baby chunks.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                can we guys shut up and focus on wayland instead of hating apple. hate is not gonna make x.org stop crashing and eating all the open windows...
                Actually Apple is using X, so yes, they could lend a hand if they wanted. And I think occasionally they do.
                As for Wayland, I don't think there's much to say. They hit a huge milestone and now developers have something usable on their hands. This is big, but nothing that our comments can help. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out in the end, but we'll have to wait for another year imho.

Comment

i always wanted to ask Kristian H?gsberg the cause of the infamous x.org restarts, how windows or mac deal with a similar situation and how wayland would.

edit: i found the article talking about this exact issue.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    i always wanted to ask Kristian H?gsberg the cause of the infamous x.org restarts, how windows or mac deal with a similar situation and how wayland would.

edit: i found the article talking about this exact issue.
                    http://www.osnews.com/story/21999/Ed...ista_Windows_7
                    Eh, besides being an older article, it does ave its share of ranting. I never had Evolution crash on me 5 times a day. And I never had the system become sluggish because of VLC/Totem/whatever.
                    Yes, Windows can update the driver without restarting, I'll give them that. But they still can't update IE without rebooting. And on my system IE has been disabled the second after it downloaded Seamonkey!
                    So there's good and bad, but ideally both sides will take the better parts and improve upon that.

Comment

wayland is not a replacement for x. it's a darn protocol. the compositor is the actual thing that takes the place of the x server. if you have a crappy compositor, then it's not "wayland's" fault.

Comment

Working...
                      X